News

NCC requests additional $73 million for Carnival 2019

Two weeks after the Finance Ministry released $25 million to the National Carnival Commission (NCC) for Carnival 2019, the NCC has requested an additional sum of $73 million.

Culture Minister Nyan Gadsby-Dolly confirmed this in the Senate replying to Opposition queries from UNC Senator Wade Mark.

She said funds are released by the Finance Ministry to the NCC upon request.

She says another request was made for another tranche of money to be released for Carnival celebrations and will certainly be processed as expeditiously as possible.

 

Police warn of cheque fraud

The Police Service is advising custodians of cheque books to be vigilant when issuing cheques and securing them when not in use.

This follows eight persons being arrested and charged with a total of 42 fraud offences by officers of the Fraud Squad between the period January 1st 2019 and February 8th 2019, arising out of a new fraud scheme, involving the use of fraudulent cheques drawn on the accounts of various financial institutions and Government departments.

Sparks in electrical panel causes school's closure

Students of Santa Flora Government Primary school had to be evacuated from their temporary quarters at Beach Camp on Tuesday after an electrical panel box began sparking inside the school.

A total of 242 pupils, 15 teachers, three cleaners and a security guard had to flee Beach Camp facilities in Palo Seco, because of the fire.

The school had been shut down because of deplorable conditions and the entire school had been relocated to Beach Camp in 2015. 

Works begins on bat-infested school

Four months af­ter the Rio Claro AS­JA Pri­ma­ry was shut down be­cause of a bat in­fes­ta­tion, re­me­di­al work has fi­nal­ly start­ed on the di­lap­i­dat­ed school.

In an in­ter­view, PTA pres­i­dent Ve­da Ma­haraj, who led a protest last week, said she was hap­py to see con­trac­tors on site do­ing re­pairs to the roof.

Since Oc­to­ber, pupils have been at­tend­ing class­es at the Rio Claro Pres­by­ter­ian School and the Rio Claro Masjid.

Turtle makes court appearance before its release back to sea

Less than an hour after four men appeared in court this morning charged with possession of a green turtle, the animal was released back into the sea.  

Geogory David, 56, a supervisor, Owen Vialva, 47, a fisherman, Phillip Phagoo, 26, a construction worker and Michael Joseph, 38, labourer of Cedros were each granted $50,000 bail with clerk of the peace approval.

They appeared before Point Fortin First Court Senior Magistrate Rajendra Rambachan who also fixed a cash bail for each of them in the sum of $15,000. 

Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán found guilty

Mexican drug kingpin Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán has been found guilty on all 10 counts at his drug trafficking trial at a federal court in New York.

Guzmán, 61, has yet to be sentenced but the verdict could mean life in jail.

The Mexican was accused of being behind the all-powerful Sinaloa drug cartel, which prosecutors say was the biggest supplier of drugs to the US.

He was arrested in January 2016 after escaping from a Mexican prison through a tunnel five months earlier.

Tuesday's unanimous verdict by a jury in Brooklyn followed an 11-week trial.

Need vehicular access to restricted areas during Carnival? Here's how

The Police Service has given notice that persons wishing to enter the areas restricted to vehicular traffic in Port of Spain on Carnival Monday and Tuesday must apply for the relevant permit(s) from the Assistant Commissioner of Police ‘Mobile/Operations’ Traffic and Highway Patrol Branch, Garden Road, Aranguez South, no later than Monday 25th February, 2019.

Applicants seeking permits must submit copies of the following documents:

Sanctions will apply if child refused medical help - SWRHA

CEO of the South West Re­gion­al Health Au­thor­i­ty (SWRHA) Kei­th Mc­Don­ald is promis­ing that if any em­ploy­ee is found cul­pa­ble in deny­ing a 13-month-old ba­by care at the Mara­bel­la Health Cen­tre on Fri­day, he or she will be sanc­tioned.

Mc­Don­ald said he had a pre­lim­i­nary re­port be­fore him yes­ter­day, but there were still out­stand­ing de­tails that are need­ed. He said the in­ves­ti­ga­tor will be speak­ing with staff at the health cen­tre soon.

Sealots murder - four killed between 10 pm and midday

A murder in Sealots this morning is among several killings being investigated by police today.

Reports are that one man has been shot and killed on Pioneer Drive late Tuesday morning.

The victim has been identified as Nigel Francisco.

This is a developing story and we will have more to come.

Earlier today a 56-year-old man was shot and killed in Laventille.

According to reports, shortly before 5 am Tuesday, residents of Block 8 heard several loud explosions.

Pages