The Tobago man who won this year's first drawing of the National Lotto Plus, plans to keep his winnings a secret from friends and family.
He won $6,454,791.64 in last Saturday's Draw #1817, with a Quick Pick.
"When asked how he planned to celebrate his winnings, he said he will not make a fuss and he didn't plan to tell anyone - neither his girlfriend nor children," a National Lotteries Control Board (NLCB) Tobago official told Guardian Media.
Fully grown marijuana trees worth approximately $1.2 million dollars were destroyed by officers of the Organised Crime and Intelligence Unit, during a marijuana eradication exercise conducted in the Mayaro district yesterday.
Officers conducted the exercise on Thursday 10th January, 2019, during which they proceeded to Gregorio Trace, Cedar Grove, Mayaro, where they discovered a marijuana field with approximately 1,200 fully grown marijuana trees and approximately 500 seedlings.
The trees and seedlings were subsequently destroyed.
Investigations are ongoing.
A Gonzales man is due to appear before a Port of Spain Magistrate next week, charged with sexual penetration against a 13-year-old girl, which occurred on Monday 7th January, 2019.
Simon Gordon, 55, is expected to appear before Magistrate Aida Mohammed in the Port of Spain 7th Magistrates’ Court on Monday to answer to the charge.
He was charged with the offence by WPC Charles of the Port of Spain Division’s Child Protection Unit (CPU) on Thursday, following investigations into a report of sexual penetration against a minor.
It’s official—the Prime Minister’s televised presentations on Sunday and Monday have kickstarted the ruling PNM’s political campaign for the three elections ahead, starting with Local Government polls expected by year end.
Finance Minister Colm Imbert confirmed this on CNC3’s Morning Brew while referring to Prime Minister Keith Rowley’s addresses.
He emphasised it was not a campaign launch in the sense of a “rally” but, “the fact is, this is an election year”.
A 64-year-old man from San Juan, convicted of raping his 13-year-old stepdaughter in 2004, has been sentenced to 23 years in prison.
The man, who can not be named to protect the identity of the victim, was found guilty of having sex with the minor late last year but was only sentenced by High Court Judge Hayden St Clair-Douglas at the Hall of Justice in Port-of-Spain yesterday.
According to the evidence presented at trial, the victim, who lived with the man since she was six-years-old, claimed that the attacks took place between February 2003 and November 2004.
Two teenagers are expected to appear before the Port of Spain Children’s Court today, charged with the murder of Keenan Smith, which occurred on Wednesday 2nd January, 2019.
The two male minors were charged with murder on Thursday 10th January, 2019, by Sgt. Sydney Job, of the Homicide Bureau of Investigations, Region 2, following advice received from Director of Public Prosecutions, Roger Gaspard SC, on that same date.
A 35-year-old man has been shot and killed in Carenage.
Reports indicate that around 8pm residents of L'anse Mitan heard several loud explosions.
The police were contacted and on arrival discovered a man lying in a pool of blood.
The victim, identified as Marcus Haynes also called "Markie", was taken to the St James Health Facility but pronounced dead on arrival.
Reports suggest he was caught in the crossfire of two warring gangs.
Investigations are ongoing.
Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas is returning to a Florida port a day early and giving passengers full refunds of their fare after 277 guests and crew members were hit with an outbreak of Norovirus as it sailed to Jamaica.
Cruise line spokesperson Owen Torres told The Associated Press "we think the right thing to do is get everyone home early rather than have guests worry about their health."
He says the ship will return to Port Canaveral on Saturday. It sailed from there Sunday on a seven-day Caribbean cruise.
Commissioner of Prisons Gerard Wilson on Thursday met with seven inmates who protected a group of prisons officers who were under attack from other inmates at the Golden Grove Remand Yard in Arouca.
Their actions were noted and will be presented for consideration when their sentencing is to be made by the respective judges in their matters.
Wilson spoke briefly with Guardian Media on Thursday.
The Commissioner was at the time meeting with the inmates one and one as he commended them for their quick and prompt action.