58-year-old man charged with wasting police time after claiming he was robbed, kidnapped

Date: 
Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 18:15

A 58-year-old man who claimed he was robbed and kidnapped, has pleaded guilty of wasting police time.

Ramdeo Mathura told San Fernando CID officers on Wednesday, he was kidnapped, and robbed of cash, cell phone and his wallet.

He reported he was then kept in a room for one day before escaping yesterday afternoon.

Mathura says he owns a business place at Nicholas towers and was conducting business in the southern city when he was taken captive by two men.

However, after enquiries and investigation police found the story was not adding up and Ramdeo then confessed to making a false report.

He was charged with wasting police time and appeared before a San Fernando Magistrate today where he pleaded guilty. 

He faces a fine of $1000 or three months hard labour.

Police say Mathura has 19 drug related matters before the courts, 14 on fraud, and one other for wasting police time. 

These cases spread across the Port of Spain, Chaguanas, Couva, Sangre Grande, San Fernando and Tobago districts.

This is the second time in two weeks someone was charged for wasteful employment of police time in the southern division claiming similar events.

Earlier this month 30-year-old Reshma Maharaj claimed she was kidnapped by two men, robbed, tied and gagged, held in a house then placed in the truck of a car which she escaped.

Officers charged her for wasting police time following investigations.

However, she pleaded not guilty and her matter is headed for trial.

Category: