60 percent of Beetham landfill fire extinguished

Date: 
Monday, April 11, 2016 - 00:00

The Solid Waste Management Company says the fire at the Beetham landfill was started by illegal salvaging.

The company says that so far 60% of the fire has been extinguished and smoke is currently not affecting Port of Spain and environs due to the wind direction.

However SWMCOL is advising all commuters to proceed with caution along the Beetham highway.

Minister of Public Utilities, Brigadier General (Ret’d) Ancil Antoine and other officials from the Ministry of Public Utilities, visited the landfill today, to examine the impact of the fire.

A statement from his Ministry says that during his visit, Minister Antoine expressed the need for citizens of Trinidad and Tobago to begin recycling their waste at home to allow the Ministry of Public Utilities and SWMCOL to effectively manage the waste when it arrives at the landfill.

The statement says that he also expressed Government’s commitment to improving the current waste management practices throughout the country.

Other issues addressed during the site visit included security at the landfill and salvagers’ access to the dump.

FOR MORE TOP STORIES: http://www.cnc3.co.tt/latest-news