Homicide investigators believe popular mechanic Winston Luke’s murder was a consequence of crimes committed by one of his sons.
Luke, 55, died at his Newbold Street, Mon Repos home on Tuesday evening after gunmen sprayed bullets at him and his son, 27-year-old Kevon Luke.
Reports stated that around 5.55 pm, the father and son were sitting in their garage in front of their home after working on a vehicle. Two men walked up to them and began shooting, striking Luke several times in his upper body. Kevon was shot three times in the leg.
The gunmen then ran off.
The incident happened about 100 metres away from the Mon Repos Police Station, but when officers responded the gunmen had already disappeared. Kevon was taken to the San Fernando General Hospital where he remains warded.
Teams of investigators led by Insp Steve Persad and Insp Darryl Corrie responded but there were no eyewitnesses who came forward.
Investigators said one of Luke’s three sons was allegedly involved in drugs and had recently shot at someone. They believe the shooting was in retaliation to Luke’s son’s deeds but said his father paid the price.
But another of Luke’s sons said his father was innocent and did not deserve such a horrid death. He said Luke was hard working and passionate about auto mechanics. He even taught his three sons his trade.
Neighbours said it was unlikely that Luke was the target, as he was well liked and respected in the community.
They said he had been operating the garage at his home since 1986 and there had never been any problems. However, they said the area was usually peaceful and they had no fears walking the roads at night until Tuesday.
“This area is quiet. We don’t have any set of nice looking houses, but those kinds of things usually happen closer to the police station. It might be hard to believe, but that is how it is,” a neighbour said.
“Luke always had on a friendly face and if he was alive today he would have been here talking with us. People around here would only fall out, cuss and go back inside.”
San Fernando East MP Randall Mitchell, in a Facebook post, said he was shaken by Luke’s brutal murder. Mitchell said Luke was a self-made man who was a constant advocate for the improvement of his Mon Repos community.
“Every day we are bombarded by news of the criminal element in action but I will never grow numb to it. Not when a man like Mr Winston Luke is innocently plying his trade, only to be viciously attacked at his home. I continue to work with the Southern Division of the TTPS to ensure that the constituents are afforded the best service. Our Commissioner of Police has taken a more hands-on approach to the fight against crime,” Mitchell said.
“However, we must take responsibility for our communities. We need to take a deeper look at the lessons and messages we are presenting to our children, paying attention to the company they keep and be aware of the consequences of our own daily activities. We all have our part to play in our fight against crime.”
- by Kevon Felmine