A 41-year-old man has died after ingesting a poisonous liquid and his wife who did the same is in a critical condition at hospital.
Police believe financial stress was behind their decisions.
According to police, Ralph Arjoon, 41 and his wife Yvonne, 42, both fruit vendors, were depressed over the state of their finances and began drinking alcohol heavily at their of Perseverance Village, Couva Sunday afternoon.
Police believe they both agreed to end their lives and subsequently consumed a poisonous weedicide called Paraquat.
The two were discovered by Yvonne's mother Leela.
Ralph died at the Couva Health Centre and Yvonne remains in a critical condition at the San Fernando General Hospital.
Investigations are continuing.
FOR MORE TOP STORIES: http://www.cnc3.co.tt/latest-news