Casino

Curepe casino shooting suspect appears in court

A Laventille man has appeared before a Tunapuna Magistrate charged in connection with a shooting incident, at a casino in Curepe, which was captured on CCTV and later circulated on social media.

The incident occurred on Saturday 2nd June, 2018, and left two security guards wounded.

Aaron Lightbourne, 27, of Mc Shine Lands, Laventille, was granted $350,000 bail by Senior Magistrate Indrani Cedeno when he appeared before the Tunapuna 1st Magistrates’ Court on Friday 8th June, 2018, on nine charges, including two counts of shooting with intent.

Woman stole from casino to buy fertility drugs

A pregnant woman who, together with her husband, stole $153,330 from her employer was described as cold-hearted by a magistrate yesterday before she ordered the couple to pay $186,000 in fines in three months.

Failure to do so could result in the couple serving a total of 181 months each in jail.

Alicia George, 33, a cashier/operator/supervisor and common-law husband Antonio Anthony, 37, both of King’s Wharf, San Fernando, pleaded guilty to 49 charges of larceny by trick in the San Fernando Magistrates Court.

International: Philippine military says terrorists were not behind casino attack

The Philippine military has rejected the Islamic State group’s claim of responsibility for an attack on a Manila casino complex in which 36 people died.

A gunman entered the Resorts World Manila complex early Friday and set fire to the gambling tables, unleashing smoke that killed patrons and casino employees.

The gunman fled with $2 million in stolen casino chips, then forced his way into a room in an adjoining hotel and killed himself.

Police say they believe it was a robbery gone wrong.

Cop in court for casino owner robbery

A Special Reserve Police officer who allegedly used a marked police vehicle to rob a casino owner last week has been slapped with three charges, including robbery with violence and firearm possession.

PC Sean Joseph, who was last attached to the San Juan Sub-Station, appeared before Senior Magistrate Nanette Forde-John in the San Fernando Magistrates Court on Wednesday. He was denied bail.

Joseph was accused of going to Johnson Avenue, Soledad Road West last Friday where he robbed Weihui Zhu of $406,000 cash, an Apple iPhone 7 valued $7,000 and an air rifle valued $20,000.

Casino owners: "We pay our taxes; Minister's information wrong"

Casino owners are telling the Minister of Finance that he has got it wrong.

A statement from the Association of Members Clubs says the Minister's claim that only three casinos pay taxes, came from erroneous information.

The following is the statement:

"The Association of Members Clubs listened attentively to the Minister of Finance’s contribution during the Mid-Term Review.

It is unambiguous that the Honourable Minister is in firm possession of erroneous information which he is being allowed to repeat as fact.

Casino workers fear job losses over Government's tax plans

The Union of Members Clubs and Lottery Workers is calling for an urgent meeting with the Minister of Finance over government’s plans for the gaming industry.

In a release issued today, Secretary of the union representing casino workers Cindy Mohammed says the minister has signalled his intention to implement another wave of taxes on the sector.

Mohammed says the last time the industry was taxed without fit and proper consultation it resulted in the contraction of the industry and the loss of jobs.