Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha (SDMS) secretary general Satnarayan Maharaj has been asked to reconsider his application for an injunction seeking to bar the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) from instituting sedition charges against him pending the determination of his novel constitutional challenge against this country’s colonial-age sedition legislation.
There is a space crisis at the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and as a result, vacancies cannot be fulfilled at this time.
This was yesterday disclosed during the sitting of the Joint Select Committee (JSC) of the Parliament on National Security.
JSC member Gerard Ramdeen asked to clarify how many vacancies have been identified. He said based on information given by the DPP in a letter dated August 2018 identified 74 – the sanctioned strength 120, which he said represents 56 per cent vacancies.
The Director of Public Prosecutions, Roger Gaspard, has ordered an inquest into the stabbing death of 22-year-old Kareem Briggs, which occurred on August 23rd in St. Joseph.
According to police reports, Briggs, of Railway Road, St. Joseph, is reported to have gotten into a heated argument with two men on August 23rd.
During the altercation, the victim suffered stab wounds about the body and died at the scene.
An 18-year-old man of Farm Road, St. Joseph, who was detained in relation to the killing, has since been released pending the outcome of the inquest.
31-year-old Stanley Peter Edmond Gittens of Beetham Gardens is expected to appear before a Port of Spain Magistrate today, charged with the murder of Tyesha De Souza.
This is following advice received from the Director of Public Prosecutions, Roger Gaspard SC, on Friday 3rd August
Ms De Souza was killed on Sunday 29th July 2018 she was from Troumacaque Road, Laventille.
Ten people are expected to appear before a Port of Spain magistrate today to answer 857 charges of fraud amounting to 22.5 million dollars.
According to police reports, the money laundering and conspiracy related charges stem from fraudulent payment of salaries at the San Juan Laventille Regional Corporation between 2011 and 2017.
Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions, Joan Honore-Paul, has ordered an inquest into the stabbing death of 17-year-old Reshard Singh, which occurred on Monday 12th February, 2018, in the Chaguanas district.
A 29-year-old man of Carsen Field, who had been detained in relation to the killing, has been released pending the outcome of the inquest. Singh, of Brad Street, Ramsaran Park, Chaguanas, was walking along the Southern Main Road, Chaguanas, in the vicinity of Factory Road, when he got into an altercation with a group of men.