One man has been shot dead and another wounded after a drive-by attack in Carenage last night.
The dead man has only so far been identified as Dillon.
According to reports, Dillon and another man were liming along Haig Street around 10 pm Wednesday when a car drove past them. However, the vehicle stopped a short distance away and an occupant opened fire on the men. Residents who heard the gunshots contacted the police.
Today the murder toll hit 500.
In October police commissioner Gary Griffith told press an acceptable toll was 150 annually.
Last week on his hundredth day in office, he told Guardian Media Limited an acceptable toll is 250.
We wrote to the commissioner seeking clarification.
Here is his response:
"Some would say acceptable is nothing else but 0. I am practical.
The end result after putting immense resources and policies both in law enforcement and social avenues to turn youths away from violent crime can be 150.
The murder toll has hit 500 for the year after an unidentified man was killed in Montrose, Chaguanas, early Thursday morning.
The man, who was dressed in dark clothing and had a knapsack on his back, remains unidentified.
Police said residents heard gunshots around 3.30 am and passers-by later found the body near the intersection of La Clave Street and the Montrose Main Road. There appeared to be a bullet wound to the head.
Central Division and Homicide Bureau officers, led by Snr Sup Balram, visited the scene.
Rick Granger a 21-year-old man from Guayaguayare Road, Rio Claro, appeared before Rio Claro Magistrate Indira Misir-Gosine charged with the murder of 38-year-old Clifton Jeffery.
Granger was remanded into custody and the matter adjourned to January 3rd 2019.
According to police reports, Mr Jefferey, a 38-year-old construction worker of Granger Avenue, Guayaguayare Road, Rio Claro, was in the yard at his home on October 2nd when relatives reported hearing a loud explosion.
Police are searching for the motive behind the murder of a 15-year-old schoolboy at Eastern Quarry, Laventille last evening.
CNC3 News understands that the 15-year-old, identified as Isaiah Marshall, was shot and killed behind the Success Laventille School last evening.
Investigations are ongoing.
Investigations are continuing into the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of one person in Petit Valley this morning.
Reports indicate that at about 1 am, the victim was in his car and may have got into an accident with another vehicle.
It is believed that the men in that vehicle came out and shot at the victim in his car before fleeing the scene.
The vehicle is registered to Kevin Stevens of Gonzales.
Investigations are ongoing.
The 485th murder was recorded in Tunapuna on Sunday night.
The victim was identified as Roger Christmas, 61, who had no place of abode.
Police said around 10.30 pm they received a call that a man, who was known to be a street dweller, was seen lying on the road at Auzonville Park bleeding profusely from wounds to the body.
A party of police officers went to the scene where they found Christmas dead. He had been stabbed twice in the upper body.
Echeverria Sandy a 42-year-old joiner of Upper Tunapuna Road, Tunapuna appeared before a San Fernando Magistrate today charged with the murder of 31-year-old Keaton Elahie.
He was remanded into custody after he stood before Senior Magistrate Cherril-Anne Antoine to answer to the charge.
According to police reports, Mr Eliharie, of Lady Hailes Avenue, San Fernando, was liming at a bar along Cipero Street, San Fernando on October 27th when he got into an altercation with a man.
During the altercation, the victim was shot several times.