A 5-year-old student who died of suspected meningitis has forced the Ministry of Education to shut down and sanitize a primary school.
The Education Ministry confirmed its actions today and the child's death.
It said the child who is a student of Fifth Company Baptist Primary was hospitalized at San Fernando General on March 11.
Five days later, the father of the infant one student informed the school about the death of his daughter.
However, the ministry says the cause of death will only be determined after the autopsy.
The Education Minister is expressing disappointment over the reduced attendance in secondary school students on this Ash Wednesday.
The minister said while teachers' attendance increased, more secondary school students stayed home.
In a statement with collated figures, the minister said reports submitted by school supervisors indicate an increase in teachers’ attendance at both levels.
Students of Santa Flora Government Primary school had to be evacuated from their temporary quarters at Beach Camp on Tuesday after an electrical panel box began sparking inside the school.
A total of 242 pupils, 15 teachers, three cleaners and a security guard had to flee Beach Camp facilities in Palo Seco, because of the fire.
The school had been shut down because of deplorable conditions and the entire school had been relocated to Beach Camp in 2015.
Four months after the Rio Claro ASJA Primary was shut down because of a bat infestation, remedial work has finally started on the dilapidated school.
In an interview, PTA president Veda Maharaj, who led a protest last week, said she was happy to see contractors on site doing repairs to the roof.
Since October, pupils have been attending classes at the Rio Claro Presbyterian School and the Rio Claro Masjid.
Three days a bush fire forced the evacuation of 900 plus pupils at the Princes Town No1 and No 2 Presbyterian Primary Schools, classes had to be dismissed early again on Monday.
President of the PTA Nola Ramjohn-Karim said the fire damaged the school's water lines and a hydroponic system which was set up inside the school compound. Ironically, it started behind the school, around 11 am on Thursday, shortly after the T&T Fire Services completed a drill at the school, Ramjohn-Karim added.
The Division of Education, Innovation and Energy (DEIE) says the Scarborough Secondary School and Goodwood Secondary School will be closed tomorrow (October 23).
Jacqueline Job, Administrator, DEIE, said that while the Division would have preferred to avoid closing the schools, this action is necessary at this time.
Job confirmed that at Scarborough Secondary School there was an electrical issue on one block of the school, which caused a fire to one light fixture on Sunday night (October 21).
After extensive floods on Thursday, the Debe Hindu school has reopened.
Cleaners came to the school from 4 am on Friday to sweep out the slush which flowed into the classrooms from a river which runs parallel to the school.
Only half of the 390 pupils turned up for classes.
A team from the Ministry of Works also visited the school yesterday to see what can be done to keep out the river flow from invading the school.