The three positive COVID-19 cases that were recorded in T&T nationals who returned from Grenada on Friday, has been described by local authorities as a worrying development.
Speaking during the Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 media briefing on Saturday, Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh said following discussions with his ministerial counterpart in Grenada, contact tracing has been initiated for 127 people whom they believe the three would have come into contact with as they went about their daily business.
The three T&T nationals had been resident in Grenada since March.
Deyalsingh said officials in both islands were concerned as preliminary reports claimed the three had been “all over the place” as they had not been quarantined.
Urging citizens in both islands to use this latest situation as a warning not to become complacent, Deyalsingh said the three who remain quarantined, will be re-tested on Monday.
He is hoping those results will be negative but for now, the three are being subjected to all protocols and treatment that COVID-19 positive patients require.
Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram reported that up to 10 am on Saturday, there were 136 positive cases of the virus recorded in T&T. However, he said it was during the briefing that confirmation had been received that a national returning from the US had tested positive for COVID-19. This brings the number to 137.
He promised to provide an update in the ministry’s 6 pm release yesterday, although he said the patient would have been transferred to the Caura Hospital for quarantine and treatment.
Concerns have arisen as to the circumstances which resulted in this patient from the US being allowed to re-enter T&T as borders remain closed, while National Security Minister Stuart Young said they would soon begin looking at bringing home citizens who remain in the larger countries such as the US, UK and Canada.
A total of 162 people remain quarantined at this time.