2769990
The step-down facility set up for recovering COVID-19 patients at Brooklyn Settlement in Sangre Grande.

The report into the step-down facility at Brooklyn Settlement, Sangre Grande, seems to be in order.

This was the response given by Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi who was recently handed the report into the facility which was ordered by Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh last month.

The report was submitted to Deyalsingh by chairman of the Eastern Regional Health Authority (ERHA) Esme Rawlins-Charles, 48 hours after he called for an investigation.

Deyalsingh called for the probe into the northeastern facility after some recovering COVID-19 patients had complained of it being a cockroach-infested dump and claimed it was unfit for occupation.

The facility was rented by the ERHA from Glenroy Davis at a cost of $105,000 per month for three months totalling $315,000 inclusive of utilities and insurance charges.

That report was eventually passed to the ministry’s legal department for perusal by Deyalsingh.

On Saturday, when pressed for an update of the report Deyalsingh said he had handed it over to the AG.

Having obtained the report, Al-Rawi said he has started examining it but is yet to draw a conclusion.

“I am reviewing it..and in due course if there is anything to report on I will certainly be reporting.”

Questioned on what he had gleaned so far in the report, the AG replied, “There was nothing, how should I say, on the face of it things appear to be in order. We are just double-checking the point.”

Al-Rawi said he has been engaged in a lot of work and needed more time to finish reading its contents.

“I don’t want to say left or right until I have responsibly completed the review.”

The AG was also unable to say when he would decide on the report.