Matthew Ross also charged with child trafficking

The rescue of a 15-year-old Venezuelan girl in 2019 has led to two men being arrested and charged for supporting a gang contrary to the Anti-Gang Act as well as trafficking children, persons and sexual assault of minors.

According to the police, Andrew George and Matthew Ross appeared before Senior Magistrate Rajendra Rambachan at the Chaguanas Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.

Their arrests have been linked to the police killing of Damian Scoon in San Fernando, who according to the police was wanted for trafficking children and sexual assault of children.

When police went to arrest Scoon on Monday, he opened fire on them, was shot and later died from his injuries.

Following several inquiries by the Special Investigations Task Force, Goerge and Ross were held

After their court appearance, George was placed on $1 million bail with a surety, or cash alternative of $100,000., while Ross was placed on half a million dollars bail with a surety or cash alternative of $50,00.

Both are to report to police stations.

George was charged with six offences including trafficking in children, sexual penetration of a child as well as supporting a gang.

Ross was slapped with two charges including trafficking in children.

Meanwhile, in a separate incident three men Keston Hall, 27, Suresh Maharaj 26, both of Balandra were arrested and charged with supporting a gang, while Daineam Schneider, 30, of Cedros was arrested and charged with being a gang leader, under the Anti-Gang Act No. 1 of 2018.

The trio was held during a simultaneous anti-crime exercise held

throughout Trinidad by the Northern Division Gang Unit and officers of Northern Division, on Tuesday.

The three suspects were also charged with trafficking in marijuana.

The three men were initially arrested and charged with possession of marijuana for trafficking when officers of the Northern Division Gang Unit intercepted a vehicle September last year. During a search, 16.1 kilogrammes of marijuana was found.

The three accused subsequently appeared before the Arima Magistrates’ Court to answer to the charges, but following further investigations by officers of the Anti-Gang Unit they were later charged with gang offences.