A police investigator enters the the building the Baby’s Pre-School on Independence Square where Jezelle Philip was murdered on January 6.

A 43-year-old man has been remanded into custody after appearing in court charged with the murder of pre-school principal Jezelle Philip.

Kirk “Jordon” Fields, of Telemacaque Street, East Dry River, Port-of-Spain, appeared before Chief Magistrate Maria Busby-Earle-Caddle in the Port-of-Spain Magistrate’s Court, yesterday morning, charged with murdering Philip, 48, of Edinburgh 500, Chaguanas, last Monday.

Dressed in a plaid shirt and jeans, Fields stood silently in the prisoner enclosure as the indictable charge was being read and was not called upon to plead to it.

After reading the charge, Busby-Earle-Caddle asked Fields if he had any issues which she could make note of.

Fields, whose voice was barely audible in the court, was repeatedly asked by Busby-Earle-Caddle to speak loudly and clearly.

Fields questioned the length of time between him being arrested and taken to court. He also enquired about the process of how a murder case moves through the criminal justice system.

Busby-Earle-Caddle explained that a murder accused is not allowed to plead guilty before a magistrate and must participate in a preliminary inquiry before one or a sufficiency hearing before a High Court Master before the case eventually goes to trial before a High Court Judge.

Quizzed by Busby-Earle-Caddle over a bandage on his left forearm, Fields said it was protecting a stab wound.

Busby-Earle-Caddle also asked Fields about his heavy breathing and he claimed that he had a heart condition.

After confirming that Fields had medication for his condition, she agreed to adjourn the case to February 27.

During the hearing, police prosecutor Insp Wayne Mohammed indicated that approximately 25 witnesses are expected to testify in the case.

He also noted that a State prosecutor from the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) will be appointed to prosecute the case once the investigative file is transferred by homicide detectives over the next few weeks.

Fields is accused of attacking Fournillier in front of her students at the school, located along Independence Square in Port-of-Spain. Fields surrendered at the Besson Street Police Station shortly after the incident.

He is being represented by Richard Clarke-Wills and Yves Nicholson.