Kent Fortune

Sascha Wilson

Unable to contain his grief after his father, a police officer, was killed in car crash, Kevon Neptune hugged his lifeless body on the highway and cried.

His father Kent Neptune, a police constable, assigned to the Mon Repos Police Station, was thrown from his car after it crashed through cable barriers and flipped along the Solomon Hochoy Highway on Thursday night during the curfew.

This is traumatic blow for the younger Neptune, who in a recent social media post, complained that he was beaten, taken advantaged of and locked up at the Gran Couva Police Station.

The post was accompanied by a video showing a police officer who was not wearing a face mask inside the station and directing him to go to the Brasso Police Station. The younger Neptune kept repeating that the officer refused to wear his mask.

Last May, the young Neptune had received a commendation from Police Commissioner Gary Griffith for saving the life of a police officer.

Police said around 10.10 pm he was heading north when he lost control of his Toyota Axio near the Brian Lara Stadium and crashed through the cable barriers.

He was thrown from the vehicle as it overturned on the median. His body was found on the south bound lane approximately 100 feet from the car.

Police recovered his pistol and 15 rounds of 9mm ammunition. The agonizing cries of his children pierced the silence of the night.

Kevon Neptune told Guardian Media that his father had gone to visit and comfort a fellow police officer who was mourning the loss of his wife.

His father was heading back to their Couva home when the accident occurred, he said.

The young Neptune got a phone call from a police officer that his father died on the highway and when he got there he saw his body on the road.

Describing him as the best man in the world, he said his father was the heart, soul and backbone of their family.

“And now the heart, the soul, the fire everything is all gone and now we have nothing and I am saying we have nothing, nothing to live because that is everything gone and I on the scene now and I dont know what to say, all I could do is hug my father as much as I could,” he said.

Saying that his father was a fair and respectable man, he said he was loved by everyone who knew him, including the prisoners.

He said his father was always there for his family.

“My last memory of my father is being arrested and my father being there and pleading with police, ‘let me see my son, let me see my son.’ I was in the cell and I heard my father, I was in the cell and I heard my father begging ‘let me see my son, let me see my son l’ and the police say, ‘no you can’t see him’ and they run my father out because they is sergeant and corporal, they run him out the station. Now look, my father gone now and I have nothing.”

Neptune’s daughter Nicola Neptune said her father was always a jovial person.

Police Commissioner Gary Griffith and the executive of the Police Service have offered their sincerest condolences to Neptune’s family, friends, and colleagues.

In a press release, the TTPS started that Neptune had over eight years’ service and leaves to mourn his wife, three sons and daughter.

According to the release, “Sgt Annan Boodoo, of the Mon Repos Police Station, described Neptune as an officer who embodied every principle that one should find in a police officer.

Boodoo said, “PC Neptune was a very cordial police officer, extremely hardworking, and always willing to go the extra mile even as a part-time Special Reserve Police Officer.”