Changes to the way local Catholics are to conduct themselves and interact with each other and the clergy have been issued by the Archdiocese of Port of Spain, in its latest official statement on COVID-19.
The changes, which reduce or eliminate physical contact among parishioners and clergy, go into effect immediately.
The full text of the statement from the Archdiocese, follows…
With the confirmation that the government of T&T is escalating their policy on COVID-19, the Roman Catholic Church of the Archdiocese of Port of Spain is now updating their guidelines.
Effective immediately, until further notice, full precautionary measures must be followed at all Catholic Masses and Services:
- Holy Communion will be distributed only in the hand (not on the tongue)
- No distribution of the Precious Blood
- At the exchange of the Sign of the Peace, no handshakes are to be given (make a small bow instead)
- No holy water will be provided for use in public spaces
- Ministers who distribute communion must sanitise hands before and after distribution
- Sanitise or wash hands with soap before and after church and after leaving church restroom
- Cough or sneeze into a flexed elbow or tissue, then throw tissue into a closed bin
- Seek medical assistance and stay isolated if you exhibit any flu-like symptoms
The Archdiocese of Port of Spain continues to pray fervently for and join in solidarity with those impacted by or working to treat COVID-19.
You are urged to keep abreast of any further updates on the Archdiocese’s position on this matter via facebook.com/catholictt