2779077
Theon Agard

Man charged with killing Tobago brothers in court

A Tobago man has appeared before a virtual hearing in the Port of Spain Magistrates’ court charged with the murders of two brothers in Les Coteaux.

Theon Agard 26, of Cut Hill, Golden Lane, is charged with two counts of murder, possession of a firearm and possession of ammunition.

The Director of Public Prosecutions gave directive for charges to be laid on Monday.

Agard is charged with the murders of Kelton and Kenwyn James at Les Coteaux on Jun 5.

A report said the James brothers left their sister’s home at James Avenue, Tablepiece, around 10.30 pm on June 5 and were near the Wise Choice Supermarket in Les Coteaux, proceeding south along Providence Road, in a white Hyundai H-100 when they were accosted by three men they reportedly had an altercation with earlier.

The brothers both exited the vehicle and while approaching the men, were shot. They died on the spot.

The assailants escaped on foot.

Following the incident, police launched a search and arrested Agard at a house in La Horquetta.

Police are still in search of two other suspects as investigations continue.

Agard was remanded and the case was transferred to the Scarborough Magistrates’ Court where he is expected to appear on June 22.— Casandra Thompson-Forbes

THA employee gets

bail on ganja charges

A 21 year old Clerk employed with the Office of the Chief Secretary, Tobago House of Assembly, appeared before a virtual hearing in the Scarborough Magistrates’ charged with possession of marijuana for the purpose of trafficking.

Andre Isaac, of Sangster’s Hill, Scarborough, was arrested after a warrant was executed at his home on June 12, 2020.

Police claimed that during the search, they found 775 grammes of marijuana with a street value of $40,000.

The amount found was 25 times the legal limit.

Isaac was granted $200,000 and was ordered to report to the Scarborough Police Station, once every fortnight.

He is scheduled reappear in court on July 13.

Stepdad charged with cruelty of child, 16

Police have charged a 37-year-old man wit child cruelty.

The charge was laid after he surrendered to Eastern Division Child Protection Unit (CPU) officers on Tuesday with his lawyer.

The self-employed mechanic was charged by WPC Valere of the Eastern CPU with one count of child cruelty, having had an arrest warrant issued in relation to a report of alleged child abuse to a 16-year-old boy on May 27, 2020.

The man’s common-law wife, who was arrested and charged on June 8, appeared before a Sangre Grande magistrate where she answered to the charge of wilful neglect and assault of a child.

The mother was granted bail by a Justice of Peace and the matter was adjourned to July 17.

A Police statement said the investigation first unearthed that the victim had been subjected to abuse for some time, allegedly at the hands of his mother and stepfather.

Further enquiries suggested that the man went to the family home, took a piece of PVC pipe and dealt the victim several

blows about his body, causing several swellings, cuts, and bruises to the left hand and left rib cage area.

The police said the male accused reportedly left the home thereafter. The victim was then seen lying on a mat outside of the apartment which was reported to police.

CPU Officers, with the assistance of the Children’s Authority, intervened, removing the child from the home and placed him in the care of another relative.

WPC Valere was supported by acting Supt George, acting ASP

Sookdeo and supervised by Insp Bain-Keller to ensure the closure of the case and that the victim received the necessary help

during this period.