The Ministry of Agriculture, Lands, and Fisheries says instructions to the Commissioner of State Lands on December 10 to serve nine Crown Point property owners with Notices to Quit is “premature.”
The notices gave the residents, who occupy lands needed for the Tobago Airport Expansion Project, seven days to leave the property.
In a release on December 11, the Ministry says the residents can stay and continue negotiations with the State as the notices “violated” an assurance given to them during a meeting with Tobago West Area Representative Shamfa Cudjoe on December 1.
At the meeting, residents who occupy Block D- four parcels of land, were told the authorities would hold further discussions with them within the next 2-3 weeks, the release said.
“While the Ministry is mindful that the Notices are part of the formal acquisition process for lands in the Crompstan area in Tobago and some of this land was previously acquired and paid for by the State in and after 1996, the undertaking given on December 1, 2020, should not have been broken,” it said
Reporter: Camille McEachnie