3508914
Patrons at the Grand Stand, Queen’s Park Savannah, at Vibes with Voicey in concert on Thursday.

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh dodged questions concerning video footage that showed there were possible breaches of the Public Health Regulations at a Soca concert at the Grand Stand, Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain.

Deyalsingh was being questioned on Saturday at a virtual Ministry of Health media conference.

“The operation of safe zones and the conditions to be applied are clearly listed in the Public Health Regulations about masking except if you are eating or drinking capacity at 50 per cent. The actual responsibility for the operation of safe zones lies with the owner/operator who is carrying on the event. The responsibility for the administration of the Public Health Regulations lies with the T&T Police Service (T&TPS),” he said, responding to a question about if the Ministry of Health is concerned about breaches of the health regulations at these carnival events.

During the question and answer segment when Deyalsingh was also asked how often do the authorities review the rules for the safe zones and if he is satisfied that the regulations are being adhered to, he replied again that the enforcement of the safe zone policy is for the TTPS and the sponsor of the event to monitor.

“Yes, we constantly review everything under the remit of the Ministry of Health, whether it is the safe zone policy, our hospitalisation numbers, so it is a constant recalibration to look at all the data available. We make decisions. Like last week, we made decisions to allow the under 12s who are unvaccinated to go back to the safe zones. So there is a constant review.”

According to a Guardian Media report on Saturday, despite the T&T Police Service saying that they saw no breaches of health regulations, the video and photos of the show “Vibes with Voicey” were subject to strong condemnation by many on social media, with many predicting a post-Carnival spike in COVID-19 cases as a result of the activity.

The concert on Thursday was headlined by Aaron “Voice” St Louis and featured performances by Nadia Batson, Nailah Blackman, Mical Teja, GBM Nutron, Farmer Nappy, Lyrikal, KI, and Jamaican dancehall artiste Kranium.

Thousands attended the event and many were not wearing masks and adhering to health regulations.

On Friday, St Louis’ manager, Lyndon Gomez said that the Thursday night show was safe but there is always room for improvement.

Another carnival event promoter defended the high safety standards at their events.

Public Relations and Communication Strategist for the project Season 22 and Sound Forge Leisel Douglas told the Sunday Guardian they are hosting seven events for seven nights for the Carnival season. They have completed four events to date, she said, and all their events have been successful and have adhered to all the health regulations.

“We have had no incidents. Our patrons are respectful of the guidelines put in place and they are adhering to them. They need to wash their hands and are ushered to their seats. We are a safe zone so eating and drinking can take place in their seats.”

On Friday night they did a show at Sound Forge, Mucurapo Road, St James, entitled “Showdown” that focused on calypso and pan with guest artistes such as Sherwyne Winchester, Joshua Regrello and Cro Cro.

Sunday Guardian reached out to the Acting Commisisoner of Police McDonald Jacob for a comment on the matter but he did not reply.