A Diego Martin man was placed on $50,000 bail after pleading not guilty to two charges of breaching a Protection Order.
Karlin Alexander, 29, of Factory Road, appeared before a Port of Spain Magistrate on August 11th to answer to the charges. He was granted bail with surety along with the following restrictions:
- He is not to communicate with the victim in any way.
- He is not to stay in the district in which the victim resides.
- He is to go to the victim’s address in the company of a male and female police officer immediately to remove all his belongings.
- He must now reside at a friend’s home in Cocorite.
- He must report to the police station in his district two times per week between the hours of 6 am and 6 pm.
The matter was adjourned to September 10th.
According to police reports, the victim arrived at the Maraval Police Station on August 4th and reported that the accused came to her Diego Martin home in breach of a protection order made against him and allegedly physically assaulted her. Attempts by officers to locate the accused on that occasion proved futile. The victim then returned to the station on August 6th to make another report of the breach of a protection order. Officers proceeded to her home where they met with the man and questioned him in connection with the reports made. He was arrested and taken to the West End Police Station. The Western Division’s Gender-Based Violence Unit (WD-GBVU) was contacted in connection with the matter and investigations were spearheaded by W/Supt. Claire Guy-Alleyne and supervised by Cpl Manswell.The accused was subsequently charged on August 8th by WPC Dominique of the WD-GBVU.