As of October 8th, Tobago has an additional 24 additional COVID cases, pushing the total number of infections on the island to 102.
Eighteen of those cases—five prison officers and 13 prisoners—were recorded at the island’s prison.
The other six cases are contacts of “recent positive cases”.
This is according to a release from the THA’s Division of Health, Wellness and Family Development.
The release said prisoners who tested positive will be transferred to a Trinidad facility this afternoon, with help from the Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard, until a “temporary prison” is prepared to house them in Tobago.
Tobago has a parallel COVID-19 health care treatment system at the old Scarborough Hospital, Fort King George.
The island also uses a hotel as a step-down facility for other cases.
Positive persons who need intensive care treatment are housed at the hospital at Signal Hill in a COVID-19 ready unit.
Here is the full text of the release…
UPDATE #50 – CORONAVIRUS DISEASE 2019 (COVID-19) IN TOBAGO
Wilson Road, 08th October, 2020, 10:30am:
Twenty four (24) additional cases tested positive for COVID-19 in Tobago. All established protocols were implemented, inclusive of contact tracing, which is ongoing.
Eighteen (18) of the additional cases were from the Tobago Prison; 5 Prison Officers and 13 prisoners. The 13 prisoners have been isolated from the other inmates who tested negative.
The remaining six (6) additional cases were contacts of recent positive cases.
A facility has been acquired and is being prepared for use as an isolation facility for COVID-19 positive prisoners. Arrangements are being made for officials from the Ministry of National Security to inspect the facility this afternoon. Once preparations have been completed and the Ministry gives the necessary approval, the facility will be used as a “Temporary Prison” to isolate COVID-19 positive prisoners.
Since the facility is currently not ready for use, the 13 COVID-19 positive prisoners will be transferred to Trinidad this afternoon via the Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard. As soon as the prisoners have been transferred, the Prison will be deep cleaned and sanitized.
The remaining Prison Officers and prisoners who tested negative for COVID-19, will continue to be monitored daily for 14 days, and if anyone develops symptoms, they will be re-tested.
The clinical update for Tobago is as follows:
- Number of persons discharged = 66
- Number of samples submitted to the Tobago Regional Health Authority (TRHA) and other local sites to test for COVID-19 = 1325
- Number of samples that tested positive for COVID-19 = 102
- Number of active COVID-19 cases = 34
- Number of patients at the COVID-19 Treatment Facility = 9
- Number of patients at the COVID-19 Intensive Care Unit = 1
- Number of patients at the step-down facility = 0
- Number of patients en route to the COVID-19 Treatment Facility = 11
- Number of patients en route to Treatment Facilities in Trinidad = 13
- Number of deaths = 2
- Number of active COVID-19 cases = 34
The public is reminded to practice all preventative and safety measures, which include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Wear a mask over your nose and mouth when you go out in public
- Cover your cough or sneeze with your flexed elbow, or with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Stay at home when you are sick and call the hotline at 800-HEAL (4325).
- Practice physical distancing (6 feet away from persons).
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces (door handles, cell phones etc.)
If persons have flu-like symptoms, stay at home and call the COVID-19 Hotline, toll free at 800 HEAL (4325).