A 41-year-old Medical Engineering Consultant was granted $100,000 bail and ordered to stay 500 metres away from a woman after he appeared in court on several charges.

Riza Khan, of San Fernando, was charged with choking, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, common assault, and malicious damage to the value of $7,000.

Official police reports indicate that on Thursday 16th July 2020 at 6:20 am, the victim was asleep at her residence in St James, when she was awakened by a man who appeared to be intoxicated. An argument ensued between them, during which it was alleged that the man became annoyed and dealt the victim several blows about her face and body and choked her.

According to police, the man allegedly picked up a glass vase from a table in the apartment and threatened to smash her face. The victim reportedly became very afraid and ran into the master bedroom and locked it. The man allegedly kicked in the door, causing damage to the value of $5,000. He also threw the victim’s cellular phone to the ground, causing damage to the value of $2,000. Total damages were put at $7,000.

On that same day, at about 8:45 am, the victim made a report to the Gender Based Violence Unit, Port of Spain Division.

Following her report, Superintendent Claire Guy-Alleyne, Inspector Lystra Bridglal, WPC Joseph, and other officers of the Gender Based Violence Unit, proceeded to the Maraval Health Centre where they spoke to the victim and a medical certificate was obtained on her behalf.

On Friday 17th July 2020, the suspect—Riza Khan—was arrested at his home and taken to the Besson Street Police Station.  He was charged by WPC Joseph, of the Gender Based Violence Unit for the offences, on Sunday July 19th, 2020.

On Monday 20th July 2020, Khan appeared before Magistrate Gomez at the Port of Spain Magistrates’ Court via virtual hearing at the Besson Street Police Station where the case was called.

Khan was granted bail with surety in the sum of $100,000 or $10,000 cash alternative bail. The Magistrate also ordered him to stay 500 metres away from the victim and that he is not to communicate with her. He also was ordered to reside at his given address in San Fernando.

The matters were adjourned to August 17th, 2020.