3447649
Jamaican national Garth Perkins, who was killed along Broadway, Port-of-Spain on Monday night.

The father of a Jamaican national gunned down in Port-of-Spain on Monday night said the family is “badly shaken” by the murder.

In an article in the Jamaica Gleaner, the father of Garth Perkins, Godfrey Perkins a former Permanent Secretary spoke about how the family got news of his killing in Trinidad.

According to the article, Godfrey Perkins said he last spoke with his son Garth in December, who told him that he was quietly enjoying the Christmas season.

Perkins said he was satisfied, as any parent would be, that his son was fine.

But late Monday, the peace that had consumed him after that telephone conversation quickly vanished when a barrage of phone calls came in from Trinidad and Tobago (T&T), where the younger Perkins was residing.

He had been gunned down on Broadway in Port-of-Spain, the capital, sometime after 7 p.m.

Police reports are that the 34-year-old event planner, who managed local restaurant and cinema Estate 101, had just left an ATM when he was approached by a gunman.

He is said to have resisted the man’s demands for money and was shot dead.

The attacker then walked away.

“We are badly shaken by it,” Perkins, a former permanent secretary and commissioner of mines, told The Gleaner.

He had relocated to Trinidad where he worked as an event coordinator at Hyatt Regency Trinidad before taking up the marketing manager position at Estate 101.

“We have to be now telling ourselves that while we are devastated, it has happened and it cannot be undone. Luckily, we are believers. So, we have put the matter before God and have sought His support with peace of mind and I think we have His support,” Perkins said.

A suspect is yet to be held for the murder of Garth Perkins. (Jamaica Gleaner)