3394532
Smoke coming from a wholesale drinks outlet on the ground floor of Express House yesterday, which caused the alarm to go off as staff members of the media house were asked to evacuate.

A fire at a wholesale goods store on the ground floor of the Express House in Port-of-Spain on Sunday afternoon caused thick smoke in the building leading to the staff at CCN TV6 and Express newspaper evacuating the building as fire officers battled the blaze.

Fire appliances from the Wrightson Road Fire Headquarters responded to a fire.

Guardian Media understands around 4.40 pm the smoke alarm triggered off in the Express House building.

Staffers in the building evacuated as a precautionary measure but up to 7 pm were not allowed back into the building.

There were no injuries, however, the media house’s television newscast was affected.

Fire officials confirmed that a fire broke out at a wholesale drink outlet located on the ground floor of Express House.

Up to late Sunday evening, fire officials were still on the scene. The fire was extinguished, however, there was still a lot of smoke emanating from the building.