A 34-year-old man was granted $10,000 bail when he appeared

virtually before a Sangre Grande Magistrate on assaultcharges against a woman.

Kendel Burkley, of Villafana Trace, San Louis Road, Guaico, pleaded not guilty to the charge of assault occasioning a wound when he appeared before Sangre Grande Magistrate, Erica Baptiste-Ramkissoon on Monday.

He was also ordered not to have any contact with the woman

pending the determination of the matter which was adjourned to November 19.

A release from the Police Service said Burkley was arrested and charged by WPC Narinesingh of the Eastern Division Gender-Based Violence Unit (GBVU) on October 16 following an investigation surrounding a report of domestic abuse which allegedly occurred on the same day.

According to official reports, at 12 20 pm on October 16, officers of the Eastern Division Emergency Response Patrol (ERP) responded to a distress call of domestic violence at Villafana Trace, San LouisRoad, Guaico, Sangre Grande.

When ERP officers arrived at the location, they met a 34-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman, who reported to police that she hbeen assaulted by a man whom she had a two-year visiting


The man was interviewed and arrested pending further

investigations and the woman was taken to seek medical treatment

at hospital.

The case was subsequently handed over to the GBVU who continued enquiries into the report.

During the investigation, WPC Narinesingh found that while the woman was talking on a cellphone owned by the defendant, he approached her and enquired if she did not hear him calling her.

The woman told the defendant that she did not hear him and thatshe was talking on the phone and she stepped aside as the defendant began quarrelling.

The defendant then again allegedly approached the victim and enquired if she did not hear him calling her and this time she showed the defendant the cellphone, indicating to him that that she was still talking on the phone.

The defendant reportedly became angry and allegedly dealt the victim several blows about her face with his hands.

She managed to run away to the home of one of the neighbors for safety and the police was contacted.

She was taken for medical treatment and is being offered counselling services by the Victim and Witness Support Unit of the Police Service.

Investigations into this case were lead by head of the GBVU, Senior Supt Claire Guy-Alleyne and supervised by Sgt Felix.