Minister of Health Terrence Deyalsingh has said it appears that Trinidad and Tobago has gotten healthier due to measures implemented to combat covid-19.
The Minister of Health pointed to the reduced number of gastroenteritis reports in the medical health system while Chief Medical Officer Dr. Roshan Parasram noted there had been only been about 67 persons who had come in for acute respiratory ailments over the past week.
This comes as the number of people currently being housed in the parallel health system continues to fall.
It was confirmed that only three persons remain at the Couva hospital on Sunday night while the Brooklyn facility in Sangre Grande was also emptied this weekend.
During the press conference the Ministry also discussed plans to combat covid 19 during the upcoming hurricane season, and potential disease which become more prevalent during that period.
Chief Technical Coordinator at the Ministry of Health, Patti-Ann Williams, said preparations were being made at various disaster shelters to adhere to social distancing practices while CMO Dr. Roshan Parasram said additional shelters may have to be considered as in the event of a natural disaster, physical distancing at shelters will be difficult to maintain.
He said all shelters would have implement wearing of masks, sanitation of hard surfaces, including bathrooms, as well as thermal scanning.
Nationals who returned from Barbados to go home tomorrow:
The group of nationals who returned from Barbados on April 21, are set to be released from quarantine by tomorrow.
Chief Medical Officer Dr. Roshan Parasram confirmed that today was the last day of their mandatory quarantine and none of the 33 individuals had shown any symptoms and barring any change they should be released
Reporter: Peter Cristopher