Works and Transport Minister Rohan Sinanan has revealed that the investigation into the $300 million contract for automated passport kiosks at the Piarco International Airport and ANR Robinson airports has found ”serious corporate governance issues,” and has been sent to the Attorney General for advice on action to be taken.
He told the Senate Tuesday that the investigation, which has been completed, also unearthed procurement issue and ”these issues are under review at this time.”
The Minister said the report has been referred to the board of the Airport Authority and the Attorney General for ”legal advise and appropriate course of action to be taken.”
In May last year’s in was announced that Former judge of the Caribbean Court of Justice, Rolston Nelson, SC, was appointed to investigate the circumstances surrounding a contract for immigration kiosks at the Piarco and ANR Robinson airports, that will cost the state US$43 million (approx TT$300M) over 7 years.
The contract is between Novo Technology Incorporation Limited and the Airports Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (AATT) and caters for the provision of kiosks that allow passengers to scan their passports at the machines and reduce the time spent in immigration lines.
The contract was signed in December 2017 and Minister of National Security and Communications, Stuart Young said a supplemental contract was signed in March 2018.
According to Minister Young, both contracts were signed by the AATT and Novo without the Cabinet being aware of them.
Minister Sinanan said the kiosks are not operational at this time.