The PNM’s La Brea executive so far has six nominees – including two councillors – to present for screening on Saturday, executive chairman Wayne Wood has said.
And former favoured nominee ex-minister Robert Le Hunte has said he’s noted some of the nominees are very good ones.
La Brea is the last of the constituencies which PNM has to obtain a candidate for. After two failed attempts – and strong continued support for Le Hunte- executive members last week agreed they were open to new names.
Wood said nominees are Point Fortin councillor Briana Fortune-John and Palo Seco councillor Dana O’Neil Gervais. Other nominees are North Central Regional Health Authority board chairman Steve Delas, Steven Mcletchie, Karla Simmons and attorney Jason Joseph.
A seventh nominee was expected to submit nomination documents, Wood said.
Wood said party groups have voted and so far Delas and Mcletchie had gotten the first and second highest numbers of votes.
Le Hunte had initially commanded the support of 16 of the 19 party groups and had support across the constituency. Asked if he was backing or assisting any of the nominees, he said.
“As much as I offered myself for La Brea as I felt certain skills I have would have benefitted the constituency, my humility will not allow me to believe that there are no other people who possess representational skills for the area, so I’m looking on to see,” he said.
“I’ve noted the nominees and I think some of them are some good ones and I’ll assist anyone of them in any way that I can when the screening team makes its final decision.”
He was asked if PNM supporters would see him on the ground in the same way that defeated Toco nominee Terry Rondon has been walking with new Toco candidate Roger Munroe. Le Hunte said, “That would depend on the candidate and the party. But I continue to have the best interest of La Brea at the forefront of my mind and wherever I could play a role in going forward in improving lives of those in the area – I’m open.”