Ijaz Hanniff

Sascha Wilson

Doctors have confirmed that Princes Town resident Ijaz Haniff, who died eight days after taking the COVID AstraZeneca vaccine, suffered cardiac failure due to a lack of sufficient blood and oxygen leading to his heart.

The report, done by surgeon Dr Ammiel Arra, gave the cause of death as multi-organ failure, bilateral limb and abdominal wall ischaemia, aortic thrombosis, diabetes mellitus/ischaemic heart disease and congestive cardiac failure.

According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) in the United States, ‘ischaemia’ is defined as inadequate blood supply (circulation) to a local area due to blockage of the blood vessels supplying the area.

Ischaemic heart disease is the term given to heart problems caused by narrowed heart arteries that supply blood to the heart muscle.

The NCBI states that the narrowing can be caused by a blood clot or by constriction of the blood vessel, but added that it is also caused by the build-up of plaque, called atherosclerosis.

Relatives had told the media that when Haniff was admitted to the San Fernando General Hospital, the medical staff treating him had told them he had a blood clot.

Haniff was laid to rest yesterday, eight days after he took the COVID-19 vaccine.

His sister accused the hospital authorities of covering up the truth.

Insisting that it was complications from the vaccine that caused his death, his eldest sister Nazirah Amin claimed her brother’s medical files had gone missing.

“They covering it up … They say they can’t find his files. Where the files disappear? We don’t know where it disappear? Because they look like they get rid of it as soon he died. As soon as he died they get rid of it and then they call and tell us he died,” she claimed.

Speaking with reporters following the funeral service at the house of mourning at Realise Road, Princes Town, Amin said her brother was feeling well when he went to the Princes Town Health Facility to get the vaccine.

“He was good, good before. It is the vaccine that make him get like that. In a matter of a few days he died. He still young. He would have been 61 next month.”

Amin said she would not be taking the vaccine.

“I tell myself I will not take the vaccine. Seeing what happened to him, how he suffer and how they denying it and they don’t want to say it’s the vaccine. What else make him sick? What else?”

She said the hospital officials would have been aware he had triple bypass surgery.

“He was okay with it (bypass) and as soon as he take the vaccine, well.”

She believes they should have done proper research before giving him the vaccine. She recalled that at the hospital, her brother made them touch his feet and they felt cold like ice.

“He showed us his belly, the clot blood all over his leg and that was it.”

She had a message for the authorities, “They didn’t do the job properly. They just giving people vaccine just like that. It’s not a right thing. I think they should know before they give them it.”

Amin said her brother was a very nice, loving man. He was the father of two adult children.

At the funeral, Imam Almudeen Hosein urged relatives and friends not to fret over his death.

“Why? Because the time has reached for him to go. No one dies before their actual time. There is nothing like he die before his time.” Haniff, a retired public health inspector, complained of belly pains two days after he got the vaccine.

Faleel Ali said his uncle went to get his belly rubbed.

But when it was time for his uncle to get up he could not move. He was paralysed from his waist down and had developed blood clots. Ali said doctors at the San Fernando General Hospital eventually told relatives there was nothing more they could do for him.

The South West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA), however, has stated that a preliminary clinical investigation indicated that there was no evidence linking the patient’s condition with the vaccine.

Contacted yesterday about claims that Haniff’s files were missing, SWRHA’s corporate communication’s manager Kevon Gervais said the authority was reserving any further comment on this matter.