A grieving mother is calling for an independent investigation into how her baby died during childbirth at the Sangre Grande Hospital on Wednesday.

Her calls come despite the Eastern Regional Health Authority (ERHA) claiming “there was no breach in the administration of the duty of care whether by action or omission” in a release on Thursday.

“I want to know what really happened,” Patrice Munroe told Guardian Media yesterday.

“Right now I just want to get a second examination from somebody else.”

She said she has been posing questions to the hospital since “but I not getting the answers I want.”

Munroe, went to the hospital on January 26 to deliver what would be her second baby. She described the process as routine until it was time to deliver.

“They (the nurses) carried me into the labour room. They said they going to burst the water bag. By the time the woman raise me up and put me up on the potty, I tell she I feel something coming out. When she do check it’s the water bag…so she just pop the bag,” she said.

Here, she said, it was a wait for her to enter into active labour. This means her contractions will become more intense and at more frequent intervals while her cervix will dilate from six centimetres to 10.

“When the lady check now when it was 10 centimetres, the head was already in position coming down and she telling me when I feel something coming down just push,” she said.

However, Munroe said despite her best efforts, the baby did not emerge.

“She check, she say she find she feeling abdomens. Then she check again, she say…the baby head feeling abnormal,” Munroe said.

Following this, she said another nurse was called to assist and after she inserted her hand into her, blood began spouting from her.

“She chook to the left and that’s when I start to bleed and the baby heartbeat start to drop. They started to press on the thing to hear the baby heartbeat to make sure the baby still alive and the woman say it look like placenta,” she said.

She said she was immediately rushed into a theatre for emergency surgery all the while feeling something emerging from her vagina.

When her eyes reopened after being placed under anaesthetic, she was told her baby died 10 minutes after being born.

“She (the doctor) say how the baby born with the head…open. So I asked her, ent you do the ultrasound before I go into the labour? Did you see the baby head was like that? She said the ultrasound don’t see everything,” she said.

She said she believes there was an error on the part of the hospital that cost her her daughter.

“I telling myself them do something. They do something wrong because the child heartbeat, everything was good until the woman chook and blood start to run,” she said.

Adding to her list of questions is that the baby’s head was opened and covered with cotton to absorb the blood. She argues that if this was a case of the head being open inside her, why was she not bleeding before the other nurse intervened?

“I want to know what really happened. I want to know what that nurse feel and what that nurse chook and burst,” she said as she recalled the nurse removing her hand from inside her and it was covered in blood.

After viewing the baby’s body, she said it appeared as though her head was cut.

In its release, the Eastern Regional Health Authority (ERHA) said it “respects the rights of the patient and is unable to release any details.”

However, it described the incident as an “abnormal birth.”

The ERHA expressed deep sympathy to the family for the loss of their loved one.

“Members of our medical and social services teams are consulting with the family to address their concerns as they come

to terms with this unfortunate but natural occurrence,” it said.