Both the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition have endorsed the call by religious leaders for a national Call to Prayer, and the date has been set for Sunday August 2, 2020.
Confirmation has come from a news release issued by Catholic Media Services this morning.
The release states that every citizen in the entire country is invited to come together to pray for one day, unite and to thank God for the gift of democracy.
Only this week, religious leaders made a call for a day of prayer to observe the 30th anniversary of the 1990 attempted coup by the Jamaat ul Muslimeen, noting that:
“This year’s anniversary is more significant because the country is in the midst of preparations for a general election… Twenty-four people died in the course of the struggle as we fought to hold on to democracy. Many others were injured. Prime Minister ANR Robinson was shot and wounded. There was damage to property in the millions of dollars for which there was no insurance cover. The nation was in shock, as the world looked on…”
The release issued by Roman Catholic Archbishop Jason Gordon added:
“Thirty years later, we must remember the high price that we have paid to exercise our right to vote, the many lives that were lost so that we could be a democratic nation…”
The Call to Prayer will take place just one week before the General Election on Monday August 10th.
Religious leaders who are expected to officiate at the event include:
- The Rt Rev Claude Berkley… Anglican Bishop of Trinidad and Tobago
- Rev Dean Emeritus Dr Knolly Clarke… President, The Inter-Religious Organization of Trinidad and Tobago
- The Rt Rev Joy Evelyn Abdul-Mohan… The Presbyterian Church of Trinidad and Tobago
- The Most Reverend Charles Jason Gordon… Roman Catholic Archbishop of Port of Spain
- Rev Maxine A Forrest-Edwards… The Methodist Church North Trinidad Circuit
- Pundit Lutchmidath Maharaj… Executive Member Maha Sabha, Maha Sabha IRO Representative
- Kes Gabre Yesus Nelson… Priest in the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church
- Haji Imtiaz Ali… Executive Member ASJA, ASJA IRO Representative
- Rev Dr Ulston Patmore Smith… Superintendent, Trinidad Conference of Moravian Churches
- His Eminence Patriarch Dr Stephen F Julien… Spiritual Baptist Faith
- Pastor Leslie Moses… Seventh Day Adventist Church