33 citizens of this country who are expected to return from Barbados today will be kept at the Trinidad and Tobago National Racquet Centre in Tacarigua.
The group was stranded in Barbados after this country closed borders to nationals on March 23.
Their lawyer Prakash Ramadhar is reported as saying that National Security Minister Stuart Young granted an exemption so that they could return home.
Speaking at the COVID-19 news conference on Tuesday, Minister of Health Terrence Deyalsingh said when they return they will be housed at a facility in Tacarigua.
“In Tacarigua from today the Barbados contingent, 33, will be housed in Tacarigua.”
Speaking at the COVID-19 news conference this morning, Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram said he has been in constant communication with the Chief Medical Officer in Barbados and a report is pending on the medical conditions of the T&T nationals.
He said Barbados’ medical personnel is attempting to test the group of people before they come.
The CMO added that upon arrival home local medical personal will do a full medical assessment and public health assessment to determine their risk of spreading COVID-19.
He said once that is complete it will be decided how and where they will be quarantined.
National Security Minister Stuart Young had previously said, when the nationals return home, they will be quarantined for 14 days and be tested for COVID-19
The group will return home on two flights. The first flight was scheduled to leave Barbados at 10 am, while the second flight was expected to leave at 1 pm.
Today Minister Deyalsingh also revealed that 23 patients from Couva were transferred to the Home of Football in Couva yesterday.
At this time 21 people remain in the facility at Brooklyn Village in Sangre Grande after four were sent home last night.
In terms of the Couva Hospital, there are 26 patients, while 10 remain at Caura Hospital.
Minister Deyalsingh said the Arima Hospital will be in operation by Friday and would be able to accommodate 94 people and the Augustus Long hospital would provide a capacity of 50 beds.
So far, according to CMO Dr Roshan Parasram, 1157 people have been tested and 114 of those returned positive. The local death tally to date is 8 people.