A new Council of the Guild of Students (both Undergraduate and Post-Graduate) has been elected at the St Augustine Campus of the University of the West Indies (The UWI).
An official statement released today by The UWI reports that 18 new Guild Councillors will officially take up duty on June 1st 2020.
The full text of the statement from The UWI, follows…
NEW UWI GUILD TO BE INSTALLED IN JUNE
ST. AUGUSTINE, Trinidad and Tobago. March 31, 2020 – Students at The University of the West Indies St. Augustine Campus recently took to the polls to elect their new student representatives. The annual Guild of Students Elections took place on March 5, and saw a cross section of the student population electing 18 new Guild Councillors.
UWI Administration called upon students to vote for good governance, effective leadership, integrity and accountability. Mr. Warren Anderson who is currently completing a BSc. Management Studies with minors in Finance and Psychology was elected Guild President, succeeding Mr. Justin Subero. The new Guild Council will begin their tenure officially on June 1.
The DELIAN Project, through the Canadian High Commission continues to be a partner in the elections. The elections were once again conducted using paper ballot tabulators donated Dominion Voting Systems (DVS) of Canada, a manufacturer of voting machines. This initiative is a collaborative effort between Dominion Voting Systems (DVS) and the DELIAN Project, the philanthropic arm of DVS. DELIAN undertakes international outreach in developing countries where it is used trade unions and universities around the world.
The Guild Council comprises an executive, hall chairpersons, faculty representatives and special committee chairpersons, such as national and international affairs, student activities, post-graduate and part time and evening committees.
Please see the list of elected Councillors the 2020 Guild Council General Elections below:
1) PRESIDENT: Warren Anderson
2) VICE PRESIDENT: Kareem Charles
3) SECRETARY: Afiya James
4) TREASURER: Nikolai Chin Hong
5) POST GRADUATE PRESIDENT: Matthew Sealy
6) PART TIME & EVENING REPRESENTATIVE: Nazim Mohammed
7) PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON: Kendell Vincent
8) STUDENT ACTIVITY COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON: Brandon James
9) NATIONAL AFFAIRS COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON: Kobe Sandy
10) INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON: Jensen Samaroo
11) GAMES COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON: Jeremy Carrera
12) FACULTY OF FOOD & AGRICULTURE: Precious Hinds
13) FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES: Kira Alexander
14) FACULTY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY: Michael Joseph
15) FACULTY OF HUMANITIES & EDUCATION: Michaela Regis
16) FACULTY OF LAW: Khaleem Ali
17) FACULTY OF ENGINEERING: Johnathon Gardiner
18) FACULTY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES: Adil Mohammed
The UWI St. Augustine Campus extends congratulations to all new student leaders and thanks the outgoing Guild Council for their service.