The Banking Association of Trinidad and Tobago has not met with local banks about a potential recommencement of a moratorium on payments for customers following the recent announcement of restrictions by the government due to the second waves of COVID-19 cases in Trinidad and Tobago.
Last Saturday, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley announced that dine-in service at restaurants and bars would be put to a halt for 28 days while gyms, casinos and members clubs, beaches and waterparks were ordered closed during the same period.
While the restrictions are still not as exhaustive as the initial lockdown, several workers attached to those industries were affected by the announcement.
However, the Bankers Association said they did not need to address local banks on the matter as they said most local banks have already put measures in place for customers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
In response to a Guardian Media query, the Banking Association said there has been no further discussion on a BATT level on the matter, as banks have been reaching and working with their customers to address their needs since the first lockdown and will continue to operate in this manner.
Most banks had placed special COVID-19 sections on their websites to address customers about loan payment adjustments. Officials at Scotia and Republic Bank confirmed these programmes had been in place since the initial lockdown while RBC listed a payment deferral programme which was due to end by September 30. Guardian Media was unable to confirm with RBC if there would be an extension of the programme following the recent announcement by the Prime Minister.