RADHICA DE SILVA
As online schooling resumed on Monday, a bridge leading to the Palo Seco Secondary School remained impassable to vehicular traffic after heavy floods caused it to sink.
The road leading to the school caved almost six feet deep and there was a gaping hole on the side of the bridge.
When Guardian Media visited on Monday, the iron railings were also shaky and had sunk a few feet into the river. There were no signs of activity at the school.
Community activist Victor Roberts said it was only a matter of time before the bridge collapses. If this happens, Roberts said the school will be cut off.
As a precaution, Victor placed caution tape across the bridge to warn teachers and students not to pass.
However, the tape broke while a Cepep crew was cleaning the river bank.
“This is a very dangerous situation right now. It is a hazard to both motorists and pedestrians,” Victor told Guardian Media, as he replaced the tape.
He said school staff was afraid to cross the dangerous bridge which had been undermined by the force of recent floods.
“What we are seeing here started two years ago. I raised concerns about all these bridges as a result of floods. We wrote a letter to the Minister of Works and so far nothing has been done,” Victor added.
He said last week Minister of Local Government Kazim Hosein and MP for La Brea Stephen Mc Clashie saw the damage that was being done to the bridge by perennial floods.
“We showed them the dangerous condition of this bridge. This is a disaster waiting to happen,” Roberts said. He noted that the recent weekend floods had further undermined the structure and it was only a matter of time before the bridge collapses.
Efforts to contact Minister of Works Rohan Sinanan for comment proved futile as calls and messages left for him went unanswered.