A police officer assigned to the Police Administration Building in Port-of-Spain died on Monday, three days after he was admitted to hospital after showing symptoms of ingesting poison.
According to a report, Police Constable Alvin Ramkissoon was at his Sangre Grande home last Friday with his wife, Lisa Ramkissoon and a tenant.
Police say 48-year-old Ramkissoon ate soup and barbecue for dinner and 15 minutes later, he began cold sweating, vomiting and had diarrhea.
He was taken to the Sangre Grande Hospital where doctors were unable to diagnose him but treated him for “ingestion of a poisonous substance.”
Ramkissoon was sedated and placed in the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit.
Officers from the Sangre Grande Police station visited Ramkissoon’s home and seized a styrofoam container, one luzocade bottle and one plastic container.
Unfortunately, Ramkissoon died on Monday while receiving medical care.
Police revealed an autopsy will be done on Ramkissoon’s body as soon as a COVID-19 test has been completed.