Former Government Minister Winston Dookeran has been awarded India's highest award conferred on persons of East Indian descent who live outside of India.
The Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards 2017 ceremony was held in Bengaluru, India on Monday.
Dookeran was among several other high-profile awardees, including British Secretary of State for International Development Priti Patel and United States Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs Nisha Desai Biswal.
The awards were presented by Indian President Pranab Mukherjee.
Dookeran was awarded in the field of Public Service. He is the only non-American in the Western Hemisphere to receive the award this year.
Dookeran received Trinidad and Tobago's highest award, the Order of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago in August 2015.
The following is the list of Pravasi Bharatiya Samman awardees:
1. Dr. Gorur Krishna Harinath, Australia - Community Service
2. Mr. Rajasekharan Pillai Valavoor Kizhakkathil, Bahrain - Business
3. Antwerp Indian Association, Belgium - Community Service
4. Mr. Nazeer Ahamed Mohamed Zackiriah, Brunei - Community Service
5. Mr. Mukund Bhikhubhai Purohit, Canada - Business
6. Mr. Nalinkumar Sumanlal Kothari, Djibouti - Community Service
7. Mr. Vinod Chandra Patel, Fiji - Social Service
8. Mr. Raghunath Marie Antonin Manet, France - Arts & Culture
9. Dr. Lael Anson E. Best, Israel - Medical Science
10. Dr. Sandip Kumar Tagore, Japan - Arts & Culture
11. Mr. Ariful Islam, Libya - Community Service
12. Dr. Muniandy Thambirajah, Malaysia - Education and Community Service
13. Mr. Pravind Kumar Jugnauth, Mauritius - Public Service
14. Mr. Antonio Luis Santos da Costa, Portugal - Public Service
15. Dr. Raghavan Seetharaman, Qatar - Business Management
16. Ms. Zeenat Musarrat Jafri, Saudi Arabia - Education
17. Singapore Indian Association, Singapore - Community Service
18. Dr. Carani Balaraman Sanjeevi, Sweden - Medicine
19. Mr. Susheel Kumar Saraff, Thailand - Business
20. Mr. Winston Chandarbhan Dookeran, Trinidad & Tobago - Public Service
21. Mr. Vasudev Shamdas Shroff, United Arab Emirates -Community Service
22. India Social and Cultural Centre, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates - Philanthropy and Community Service
23. Ms. Priti Patel, United Kingdom - Public Service
24. Ms. Neena Gill, United Kingdom - Public Service
25. Mr. Hari Babu Bindal, USA - Environmental Engineering
26. Dr. Bharat Haridas Barai, USA - Community Service
27. Ms. Nisha Desai Biswal, USA - Public Affairs
28. Dr. Mahesh Mehta, USA - Community Service
29. Mr. Ramesh Shah, USA - Community Service
30. Dr. Sampatkumar Shidramapa Shivangi, USA -
The PBD conventions have been held every year since 2003 and have been honouring overseas Indians and persons of Indian origin (PIOs) since the first edition. Last year, the Government decided to hold the event once every two years and, accordingly, the number of awards had been doubled to 30.
FOR MORE TOP STORIES: http://www.cnc3.co.tt