Police probe beating at 51 degrees nightclub

Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 20:00

Yet another attack on a young partygoer at a nightclub in Port-of-Spain has left 22-year-old Nicholas Grillet badly wounded and in excruciating pain. He was allegedly beaten by bouncers attached to the 51 Degrees Night Club located at Cipriani Boulevard, Port-of-Spain.

Speaking with the T&T Guardian yesterday, Grillet said at about 3 am he had an altercation with a patron which escalated into a scuffle outside the club. He said, however, everything was quickly resolved between the two when he (Grillet) made his way up inside the club to lodge a complaint to management.

Grillet said he spoke with a man, who identified himself as a shareholder of the club.

“After speaking with him he told me that he was going to look for the fella, the same guy that I had the scuffle with earlier, to have him put out of the club. So, while he was gone I was there with my girlfriend and when I looked through a nearby door I saw one of the bouncers approaching me and then felt him grab me by my throat,”  Grillet said.

Grillet explained how he was dragged on the ground by the throat and beaten about his entire body. He was also kicked and stood up on by the bouncers on the head and chest.

“I was kicked in my eyes and suffered a busted head and bruises to under my arms, my back and chest,” he said.

The beating did not end there for Grillet. He was allegedly thrown in the stairway where he was again beaten and then thrown outside the club where he was again beaten this time by more of the club’s bouncers. Grillet said he has been a patron at the club numerous times before and had seen his attackers, the said bouncers, before.

Grillet said he was forced to drive himself to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex in Mount Hope for medical treatment. An official statement was lodged at the Woodbrook Police Station, however, Grillet said when he went there late yesterday afternoon to lodge the report he was met with a little opposition from a police officer.

“The officer kept putting his own words in my mouth when I was trying to tell him what happened and when the report was read to me I realised there were errors. When I told the officer that it was not what I said he just scratched it out and didn’t write down what I told him happened,” Grillet said. Grillet said he is currently looking at his options on a legal basis.

PC Keron Clement of the Woodbrook Police Station is continuing investigations. Efforts to contact the management of the club late yesterday were unsuccessful.

Source: www.guardian.co.tt (Rhondor Dowlat)

FOR MORE TOP STORIES: http://www.cnc3.co.tt/latest-news