Rescued kidnap victim home resting Cops guarding Maria

Res­cued kid­nap vic­tim Maria Dass-Su­per­sad is cur­rent­ly at her Lange Park, Ch­agua­nas home rest­ing un­der heavy po­lice guard to en­sure she is com­fort­able and feels safe.

Af­ter she was ex­tract­ed from a house at Cau­ra, Tu­na­puna, last night, Dass-Su­per­sad was tak­en to the Er­ic Williams Med­ical Sci­ences Com­plex in Mount Hope where she was treat­ed. She was ac­com­pa­nied by the Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice (CoP) Gary Grif­fith, who spear­head­ed the res­cue op­er­a­tion.

A close rel­a­tive of hers told the T&T Guardian a short while ago that Dass-Su­per­sad is very trau­ma­tised but is now rest­ing.

“She was not harmed in any way or mis­treat­ed while be­ing held cap­tive,” the rel­a­tive, who did not want to be named, said.

Speak­ing about the ex­trac­tion Thurs­day night, Grif­fith said he was pleased they were able to get to Dass-Su­per­sad and get her un­harmed.

Grif­fith said the five-hour in­tel­li­gence-led op­er­a­tion fea­tured “pow­er­ful in­tel­li­gence gath­er­ing that in­cor­po­rat­ed all the dif­fer­ent arms in the TTPS, in­clud­ing the Spe­cial Op­er­a­tions Team, Spe­cial Branch, In­ter-Agency Task Force and in­tel­li­gence agen­cies led by ACP Ja­cob.”

He said he co­or­di­nat­ed the ef­forts from the Com­mand Cen­tre and then made his way to Cau­ra, “deep in the for­est” for the ac­tu­al ex­trac­tion where two sus­pects were held.

“This is the sixth kid­nap­ping and all were re­turned to their fam­i­lies un­harmed with­out any ran­som be­ing paid,” Grif­fith said.

He, how­ev­er, ex­pressed dis­ap­point­ment at some peo­ple who took to so­cial me­dia to sug­gest the po­lice were af­ford­ing af­flu­ent cit­i­zens bet­ter treat­ment than those of the low­er class who were in sim­i­lar sit­u­a­tions.

“I think it was class­less, it was em­bar­rass­ing that cit­i­zens could try to put an av­enue like this in a sit­u­a­tion like this. The TTPS un­der my com­mand will con­tin­ue to en­sure that each and every cit­i­zen be pro­tect­ed and they would be served by the po­lice ser­vice with pride,” Grif­fith said.

“We do not see pol­i­tics, we do not see race, we do not see eth­nic com­po­si­tion, we pro­vid­ed all the re­sources that we could have for those five hours and yet again we were able to do what many peo­ple did not think that we would have achieved.

“I am not say­ing that we would be suc­cess­ful in each and every op­er­a­tion but what we will do is try our best at all times and we would do what is re­quired to bring this coun­try back to what it should be.”

Dass-Su­per­sad, 26, who is cur­rent­ly as­signed to The UWI’s In­sti­tute of In­ter­na­tion­al Ad­vance­ment, was said to be on her way to pick up her six-year-old daugh­ter when she was kid­napped out­side the uni­ver­si­ty’s book­store near the North Gate on Wednes­day at about 3.07 pm. Her car was blocked by a Nis­san Ti­i­da, li­cense num­ber PDK 9561, and two men, one dressed in a po­lice out­fit the oth­er in a cam­ou­flage out­fit, got out, grabbed her and bun­dled her in­to their car. The men then shot at stu­dents and the se­cu­ri­ty guard on du­ty at the north en­trance as they es­caped.

The li­cense plate num­ber was lat­er dis­cov­ered to be false, the po­lice con­firmed.

In­ves­ti­ga­tions are con­tin­u­ing.

Reporter: Rhondor Dowlat

Source: TT Guardian