Sport: Durban stripped of right to host Commonwealth Games

Date: 
Monday, March 13, 2017 - 15:15

The South African city of Durban has been stripped of hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games over a failure to deliver on its promises to organisers.

The news came as Queen Elizabeth launched the baton relay for the 2018 Commonwealth Games, which will take place on Australia's Gold Coast.

In yanking Durban's hosting rights, the Commonwealth Games Federation said the city had submitted information that was a "significant departure" from its original bid, PA reported.

Durban was awarded the Games in September 2015 after Edmonton withdrew, but last month South African sports minister Fikile Mbalula indicated financial constraints were causing problems.

"We gave it our best shot, but we can't go beyond. If the country says we don't have this money, we can't," he said at the time.

A statement from the CGF explained the rationale for its decision.

"The Commonwealth Games Federation has completed its review of the final information submitted by South Africa on 30th November, 2016 to determine whether their proposals for hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games are consistent with their original bid commitments and the host city contract," it said.

"It is with disappointment that the detailed review has concluded that there is a significant departure from the undertakings provided in Durban's bid and as a result a number of key obligations and commitments in areas such as governance, venues, funding and risk management/assurance have not been met under the revised proposition."

Category: