Commissioner of Prisons Dennis Pulchan.

Three days after he accidentally shot himself in the leg, Commissioner of Prisons Dennis Pulchan has been discharged from hospital and is resting comfortably at home.

According to a police report, at about 8.30 pm on Saturday Pulchan was at the Commissioner’s Quarters, Golden Grove Road, Arouca, attempting to holster his firearm when he reportedly slipped and fell. He heard an explosion and found that he had been shot in the right leg.

He was taken to the Arima Health Facility and later transferred to Medical Associates Limited for further treatment.

Pulchan said he was discharged from Medical Associates on Monday night and is at home recovering.

“I’m feeling much better. I’m recuperating, it’s just to rest and relax and allow my body to heal itself. God has His plan I just go along but I’m resting after so long but I’m in good spirits and will be back up soon,” Pulchan said.

Pulchan noted that the wound was a flesh wound and not serious to worry about.

Woman shot in neck

A woman was shot in the neck while at her home in Sangre Grande on Monday morning.

She is listed in a critical but stable condition at the Sangre Grande Hospital.

According to a police report, at about 4 am a neighbour told police he was at his home at Jacob Coat Extension, Northeastern Settlement, when he heard a gunshot at his neighbour’s house.

He said he went to the neighbour’s house at 6.15 am to check on the 33-year-old woman and found her home unsecured.

He called out to her and got no response and decided to go inside her house to make further checks.

The man found the woman unresponsive lying face down on a bed. She was bleeding from a wound to the neck.

A report was made and police officers who responded took the woman to the hospital where she was treated.

Police said the bullet entered and exited the neck.

The woman is due to undergo further medical examinations.

WPC Seenath is continuing investigations.

15,000 tickets issued for

failing to wear face mask

More than 15,000 people have been issued tickets for failing to wear face mask so far.

According to the latest statistics disclosed by the Police Service, within the last 24 hours, 62 people were issued tickets for failing to wear face mask, bringing the overall total to date to 15,673.

Nine people were arrested for breach of curfew carrying the total up to 1,303.

Two people were arrested for Breach of the Public Health Regulations bringing the total to 1,421.

There were 404 patrols and 81 road blocks conducted.

Police officers testing COVID-19 positive were at 115 and 360 of them currently in quarantine.

The TTPS continues to urge citizens to adhere to the Emergency Powers and Public Health Regulations and welcomes information on possible breaches.