Ammunition seized by police during a raid in Arima.

San Fernando labourer Kevin Babb was fatally stabbed in the chest on Thursday, during an altercation with a man he reportedly knew.

Police said Babb accosted a 40-year-old woman with whom he once had a relationship and her 45-year-old boyfriend with a knife.

The incident took place around 4.45 pm.

The couple, police said, was sitting on the front steps at the entrance of their apartment when Babb approached them armed with a knife.

The man and Babb got into an altercation. However, the man broke free and ran up the stairs and into a corridor.

The 39-year-old Babb followed him. Shortly after, Babb walked down the steps with a stab wound to his upper right chest area. He collapsed on the road and was taken to the San Fernando General Hospital in a private vehicle.

The man went to San Fernando CID and told the officers what transpired. He was arrested.

Police said Babb, of Olera Heights, San Fernando, sustained a stab wound to the right chest area and was pronounced dead at 6.12 pm.

The man was also treated at the hospital and discharged. Police were able to retrieve CCTV footage to assist them with their investigations.

Officers from the San Fernando CID and Homicide Bureau of Investigations visited the scene. Inquiries are continuing.

Cops kill Enterprise man

A man identified as “Bossy” was killed during an alleged police-involved shooting in Enterprise, Chaguanas, yesterday.

According to a police report, at about 11 am, Moses “Bossy” Walcott was approached by officers and he allegedly pulled a gun and fired shots at the officers.

The officers returned fire, hitting Walcott several times about the body.

He was taken to the Chaguanas Health Facility where he was pronounced dead.

Police seized a pistol from the scene.

Police said Walcott was well known to them and had 13 outstanding warrants.

There have been 21 police-involved killings so far this year.

Prisoner found unresponsive in cell, dies at hospital

An inmate of the Maximum Security Prison was found unresponsive in his cell early yesterday and was later pronounced dead at a medical facility.

The inmate, identified as Odai Webster, who was charged with house breaking and larceny, was said to be in quarantine at the prison, having entered the system as a new prisoner.

Guardian Media was told that Webster was discovered unresponsive in a cell during routine checks just after 4 am.

The prisons medical officer was contacted, after which Odai was taken to the Arima Medical Facility and not the infirmary of the prison. He was pronounced dead on arrival.

Police said his body bore no visible marks of violence and the cause of death is yet to be established.

Acting Commissioner of Prisons Shamshudeen Mohammed extended condolences on behalf of the Prison Service to Webster’s family and friends. —RDR

Cops seize 500 rounds of ammo in Arima

Police seized a large quantity of ammunition during an Operation Strike Back 3 exercise in Arima.

A police release said during the exercise, officers went to an abandoned concrete structure at Trainline Road, off Pinto Road, Arima, where a knapsack which contained a large quantity of ammunition was found and seized.

A check revealed the bag contained 500 rounds of nine-millimetre ammunition.

Officers also went to a shop at the corner of Eastern Drive and Calvary Hill, Arima, where a search was conducted.

Two men were arrested for being in possession of marijuana, which when weighed amounted to 107 grammes.

In another incident at Trainline Road, officers saw a known firearm offender, who, on seeing the approaching police vehicles began to run.

PC Brewster and other officers saw the man with an object in his hand. As the man ran away the object fell and he was able to escape.

Police checked the area and found an extended magazine containing 22 rounds of nine-millimetre ammunition.

An arrest warrant is to be issued for the man’s arrest.

Santa Cruz man charged with murder

A 27-year-old welder of Santa Cruz was expected to appear virtually in the Port-of-Spain Magistrates’ Court charged with murder and wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

A police release said Shane Fox was charged on Thursday following advice of Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Joan Honore-Paul.

The charges were laid in connection with the death of Winston Denni, aka ‘Shakka’ and the wounding of Ishaba Denni, which occurred on May 23 in Santa Cruz.

The release said on that day, police responded to a report of loud explosions at Moraldo Trace, Sam Boucaud, Upper Santa Cruz.

Around 9.05 pm, officers arrived on the scene and saw two men with gunshot wounds.

Police interviewed a man at the scene, who reported that two armed men entered the house, then one assailant ordered the occupants of the home to get on the floor.

The man alleged that Denni refused to get on the floor then got into a scuffle with the assailant in an attempt to disarm him.

The man reported that the assailant fired several shots at Denni, hitting him about his body and also wounded Ishaba Denni.

The man alleged that Denni then ran out of the house into the yard, where he collapsed and the assailants ran off through a nearby track.

The two wounded men were taken to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, where Winston Denni was pronounced dead on arrival and Ishaba Denni was treated.