Mukesh Sookram,


A second police officer has died from the COVID-19 virus.

The officer, acting Inspector Mukesh Sookram, who was last assigned at the Morvant Police Station, died at the Couva Hospital on Wednesday afternoon.

Commissioner of Police, Gary Griffith and the Executive Police Service have extended condolences to the Sookram’s relatives, colleagues and friends. He died yesterday.

A release issued by the TTPS said Sookram fell ill and was admitted to the Couva Hospital and Multi-Training Facility. He passed away while undergoing medical treatment.

He was last assigned to the North-Eastern Division (NED) as the inspector in charge of the Morvant Police Station.

Sookram was enlisted into the TTPS on April 8, 2002, and was promoted to the rank of corporal in 2010, then to Sergeant in 2019 and began acting as an Inspector earlier this year.

He spent most of his career in the NED and was conferred two letters of commendation for dedication and devotion to duty in 2005 and 2010, respectively.

He also attained an Associate Degree in Management and a Diploma in Security Administration and Management.

He was also versed as a gunsmith, a green belt in karate, and in auto electrical and craft.

Senior Superintendent of the NED Winston Maharaj described Sookram as exemplary, stating that he was “always professional and serving with extreme pride.”

Maharaj said, “Since I met Inspector Sookram, I have known him to be an industrious and efficient worker, taking a very hand-on approach to policing. So much so, he was an excellent team player and motivator of his junior officers.”

He lamented, “At this time, his staff is very traumatised at his passing.”

Last week, Police Constable Anthony Nicholson who was assigned to the TTPS administration building Guard Unit, was the first officer to have succumbed from the virus.

A total of 105 police officers have tested positive for COVID-19 with two deaths, up to late yesterday.

With the numbers rising daily, police officers are becoming weary and are calling for an immediate intervention by the Police Commissioner Gary Griffith and health officials.

Some police officers are alleging that police stations and vehicles are not being sanitised frequently on a daily basis as it ought too.

Speaking with the Guardian Media on Tuesday, president of the T&T Police Service Social and Welfare Association Insp Gideon Dickson described the sanitisation processes as “tedious.”

“There is much room for improvement with regards to sanitisation and the provision of PPE for police officers because their lives continue to be at risk,” he said.

Dickson said the number of police officers/TTPS employees currently on quarantine is at 691, including 20 civilians who work within the TTPS, “671 are officers that are currently in quarantine,” he noted.