A security guard has been released on $20,000 bail after appearing in court to answer five criminal offences including drunk driving arising out of a minor car accident he was involved in while on duty, earlier this week.

Candy Valentine, 52, of St Mary’s Village, South Oropouche, was granted bail after appearing virtually before Magistrate Nikolas Ali, yesterday afternoon.

According to the summary of the evidence presented during his court appearance, the charges arose out of an incident along Longdenville Main Road, Longdenville, around 11.30 am on Tuesday.

The driver/salesperson of the food distribution company, Valentine was assigned to, parked the company vehicle near a supermarket in the area and left Valentine in the passenger seat as he went inside to conduct sales.

Valentine reportedly got in the driver’s seat and attempted to reverse the vehicle to allow a person that was parked behind to move but crashed into the vehicle instead.

Officers of the Longdenville Police Post responded to the scene of the accident and decided to administer a breathalyser test as Valentine appeared to be highly intoxicated.

Valentine registered a reading of 94 microgrammes of alcohol for every 100 millilitres of breath on his first test and 100 microgrammes on his second.

The legal limit is 35 microgrammes for every 100 millilitres of breath.

Valentine was charged for driving the vehicle without being authorised by the owner, driving without a driver’s permit, driving without insurance, driving while intoxicated and being in possession of a firearm while intoxicated.

Valentine pleaded not guilty to the offences during his court appearance before Magistrate Ali.

In applying for bail for Valentine, his lawyer Bhimal Maharajh noted his client, who has been employed by Thor Security Services for the past 16 years, had a clean criminal record before the incident and should be presumed to be innocent until found guilty.

On Maharajh’s suggestion, Ali allowed his wife to serve as surety for his bail.

Valentine is scheduled to reappear in court on December 17.