1927296
Sir Clive Lloyd former West Indies two-time winning World Cup captain

Legendary former West Indies skipper Sir Clive Lloyd has reservations about the West Indies touring England at the moment to contest a three-Test series. Cricket West Indies (CWI) as expected to meet next week to finalise whether the team will be touring England in early July.

Lloyd speaking to Guardian Media Sports on Wednesday from his Lancashire, England home said: “A lot of people are still dying here so the situation is not easy. Health has to be a priority so the West Indies board will have to hear what the medical people are saying and then make a call. They are saying that things are getting better but people are still at home and out of work, things are not looking too good.”

The Guyanese has passed the time well during quarantine, saying: “I am fine, I walk my dog at nights to get the exercise so things have been good. I have a lot to occupy me during this period, so it has not been bad at all.”

CWI and the England Cricket Board (ECB) have been in talks for a while now concerning the tour and the latter has thrown out many possibilities on how the tour can come off safely in the midst of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic which has put almost all 213 nations on lockdown in an effort to save lives. So far, COVID-19 has claimed 327,938 lives globally from 5,054,427 cases. In the United Kingdom has recorded 35,704 deaths from 248,293 cases.

So far, it is suggested that the tour take place behind closed doors and matches played only at venues with hotels at the ground (The Ageas Bowl in Hampshire and Old Trafford in Manchester).

CWI has selected a squad of 30 players for the tournament and will be looking carry 25, which will include net bowlers so they don’t have to mingle with people outside of their group.

Lloyd also gave his views on matters that are currently gripping the region in terms of a PKF (Pannell Kerr Foster) report that has made the rounds, pointing fingers on the past administration for poor governance.

“That report has been making the rounds and this is not good for our cricket. They all need to sit down and let good sense prevail and return stability to our cricket. I have told the board that they should involve the past players because they still have a contribution to make. There is a lot to be done to make things right.”

Lloyd also weighed in on the financial crisis with the board saying: “Everybody knows that we can’t make money playing at home. This is because hosting cricket in the Caribbean is too expensive. We have to fly among the islands, we can’t drive, we stay at hotels in the high season and it is expensive. The board needs a company to help them work through these things.

“They need someone to have an arrangement in place with hotels, for example, where they get a good deal. It is too expensive at the moment and something has to be done or else the board will continue to be in financial problems.”