On the very first night of the State of Emergency, six people were held on both sides of the twin-island for breaching the 9 pm to 5 am curfew.

In the first instance, Steve Housand from Manzanilla was fined $20,000, after pleading guilty to the offence when he appeared virtually before Magistrate Sarah De Silva, yesterday.

According to the evidence in his case, the 36-year-old was arrested by police around 9.40 pm on Sunday.

Housand was allegedly standing at Plum Road Junction in Manzanilla, when police officers, who were on patrol in the area, stopped and advised him to return to his home.

Housand refused and was arrested.

As a part of his sentence, Housand was ordered to pay the fine forthwith or face five days simple imprisonment.

Guardian Media could not confirm whether Housand was able to pay the hefty fine yesterday to avoid a prison sentence.

Meanwhile, a 30-year-old man from Valencia has been ordered to serve four days in jail for gathering in a group of more than five in breach of ongoing public health regulations for the COVID-19 pandemic.

Tyreke George received the sentence after pleading guilty during his appearance before Magistrate De Silva.

Ashton John, 35, Kerneil Charles, 32, and Ivan Lambkin, 29, who were arrested alongside him pleaded not guilty to the charge and their cases were adjourned to June 14.

According to reports, the group was arrested at 4.30 pm on Sunday at Quare Road in Valencia, when officers saw a large group of residents liming. Upon seeing the police, they ran.

Officers were unable to arrest the other residents.

Both cases were prosecuted by Nicholas Ramdeen.

And four people, including a teenager, were arrested in Tobago for breaking State of Emergency Regulations.

Two restauranteurs were also held for breaching Public Health Regulations.

This is according to Inspector (Ag.) Alicia Piggott of the TTPS Tobago Division.

Ag Inspector Piggot said the four held for breaking the curfew were not yet charged.

She said the four were outside during the curfew hours and could not explain why they were outside.

The TTPS’s Tobago media ambassador also noted that the Public Health Ordinance, which ordered restaurants closed, remains in place.

“There are two persons who were arrested for having a restaurant open…when the regulations told you that you cannot have restaurants open…and they were selling food, I understand,” Piggott said.

In South Trinidad, Antonio Amichan, 25, of Golconda Road, Golconda was fined $6,000 after he pleaded guilty to breaching the curfew, driving dangerously and being under the influence of alcohol.

He was arrested around 10.10 pm on Sunday along SS Erin Road, Debe after PC Ramroop and PC Mohammad spotted a vehicle speeding and swerving on the road. The driver was stopped, a breathalyser test administered that recorded a reading of 107 microgrammes. The legal limit is 35 microgrammes.

He was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, breach of curfew and dangerous driving. On each charge, Senior Magistrate Armina Deonarinesingh fined him $2,000 or in default four months imprisonment. He was also disqualified from driving for 12 months and given one month to pay the fines.

Anyone who breaches the regulations under the State of Emergency is liable to a fine of up to $250,000 and six months in prison.