Despite covering a larger area, ranging from the north and east coasts of Trinidad and all the way to Tobago, the fourth day of searching for missing diver Reinaldo Novoa proved unsuccessful again yesterday.
Several search parties started searching – by land, air and foot – from 6 am but there were no sightings of the 66-year-old Novoa.
While members of both the T&T Air and Coast Guard were part of the search, many of the members were volunteers who were moved to assist in the effort – some using private boats and planes.
“Everyone in the search right now, in this large search effort, was either personally touched by my dad or has heard of him in their respective circles,” Novoa’s son, Reinaldo Junior, said yesterday.
Expressing gratitude, he said everyone is working together as a unit to try and find Reinaldo Sr.
According to Reinaldo Jr, while it is a tense and stressful time, he knows there are other families out there facing similar pain.
“I know we are not the only family missing a loved one, there are kidnapped children and adults, and all sorts of things happening all the time. Our prayer is that their families also receive equally from the persons in charge,” he said.
“Our love goes out to every family missing a loved one. No loss is trivial. Let us remain a one love country and keep helping each other out.”
The search effort continues today and relatives are seeking volunteers to assist in looking for Reinaldo Sr. They are also urgently seeking ham radio and drone operators.
Novoa, a retired nurse and grandfather of seven children, went missing 18 miles off the coast of Manzanilla on Sunday afternoon while scuba diving. He was taken out to his dive site in a boat by a boatman earlier that morning.