Several people, including a police officer currently on suspension, were arrested by police for various offences in several Operation Strike Back exercises on Saturday in Central, El Socorro and Carenage.
In the Central Division, an exercise was conducted by the Central Division Gang Unit and Central Division Task Force Area North at the homes of several priority offenders and several arrests between the hours of 10 am and 5 pm.
Police said a 30-year-old man of Chrissie Terrace South, Enterprise, who was described by police as a gang leader, was arrested for possession of a firearm, possession of ammunition and possession of marijuana.
Other arrests included:
• A 38-year-old, of Tobago Road, Lendore Village, for possession of marijuana
• A 41-year-old, of Tobago Road, Lendor Village, on outstanding warrants
• A 33-year-old, of Freedom Street, Enterprise, on robbery-related matters
• A 19-year-old, of Freedom Street, Enterprise, on robbery-related matters
• A 36-year-old police officer currently on suspension, of Bharat Street, Enterprise, Chaguanas, on outstanding warrants
• A 28-year-old man of Jackman Trace, Esmeralda Road, Cunupia, on outstanding warrants
• A 46-year-old, of Ramcharitar Road, Welcome Road, Cunupia, on outstanding warrants
• A 66-year-old, of Uriah Butler Highway, Charlieville, for housebreaking and larceny
In another exercise, officers went to El Socorro Extension Road#1, San Juan, where they searched several bushy areas along a riverbank and found a black plastic bag hidden under a heap of grass. The bag, police said, contained a 12-gauge Remington 870 magnum shotgun. No one was arrested.
In Carenage, at about 2.30 pm, the Carenage Criminal Investigations Department, officers from the Carenage Police Station, Western Division Task Force, Canine Unit and Chaguaramas Development Authority Officers conducted an exercise where several warrants were executed and several people were detained.
Among the detained was a 22-year-old man of Samora Park Extension, Carenage, on a warrant for malicious wounding; a man of Western Main Road, Carenage, for possession of cocaine and a 56-year-old of Francois Street for wilful obstruction of a police officer in the execution of his duty.