2772393
Senior women’s team netballer, New Zealand-based Daystar Swift is hopeful the ANZ Premiership resumes this year

[email protected]

New Zealand-based national women’s team goal defence Daystar Swift says she is optimistic that the 2020 season of the ANZ Premiership season will resume soon.

Last month, Swift and fellow national player, goal-attack Kalifa Mc Collin had their debut seasons in the top flight New Zealand netball league halted due to the coronavirus worldwide pandemic as Netball New Zealand aligned with the latest announcement from the Government which saw the country brought under alert Level 4.

During the lockdown, the ANZ Premiership and Beko Netball League teams all ceased group training under lockdown and Netball NZ continued to review the situation based on advice provided by the Government and Ministry of Health.

Back then Netball NZ Chief Executive Jennie Wyllie said it had been a challenging time for all of those involved but reiterated that the health and welfare of the players, team management and the wider netball community was a top priority.

She explained, “At this stage, there has been no decision made on the future of the ANZ Premiership, any other domestic competitions and community netball for 2020.

NNZ will continue to provide regular updates on this as further information comes to hand. We are committed to Netball playing its role in stopping the spread of COVID-19,” she said.

Before the lockdown, just one full round of the 2020 ANZ Premiership was completed while both the Beko Netball League and Community Netball were preparing to start when Government restrictions on mass gatherings were announced.

In her opening match, the 28-year-old Swift, a Netball World Cup and Commonwealth Games veteran was on the losing side after her Robinhood Northern Steel fell to Northern Mystics, 55-59.

The 24-year-old said T&T player, “Our garage has just been converted into a mini-gym so we can keep fit until we get word as to what direction the competition is heading.”

New Zealand has reported 1,122 confirmed cases of COVID-19 up to Tuesday, including 19 deaths, one of the lowest tallies in the world, while 82 per cent of all confirmed and probable cases had recovered, and nine people were being treated in hospital—one in ICU.