gangs

TTPS ready for anything this Carnival—Young and Griffith

“The safest place in T&T is inside a Carnival fete…”

So says Police Commissioner Gary Griffith, as he weighed in on the current crime situation and the TTPS' readiness for Carnival celebrations.

And the top cop says his men and women officers are equipped and ready to deal with anything and make sure that their presence is felt.

During a drill with various arms of the TTPS at the Police Training Academy on Thursday, Police Commissioner Gary Griffith says the police aren't being trained to use brute force, but rather, to destabilise potential deadly situations.

PM: No easy fix to gangs benefitting from State $

The in­fil­tra­tion of crim­i­nal gangs which have been si­phon­ing mil­lions of tax­pay­ers dol­lars from Gov­ern­ment projects and con­trac­tors has been a prob­lem for over two decades, ac­cord­ing to Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley.

And he con­ced­ed that there was no easy so­lu­tion to the prob­lem but he in­tends to stamp it out.

Audit coming over gangster contracts

The mul­ti-mil­lion dol­lar con­tracts giv­en to sev­en re­put­ed gang lead­ers at two PNM-con­trolled cor­po­ra­tions will now be the sub­ject of an ex­pan­sive au­dit that will al­so in­clude the 12 oth­er re­gion­al cor­po­ra­tions across the coun­try.

The an­nounce­ment was made by Rur­al De­vel­op­ment and Lo­cal Gov­ern­ment Min­is­ter Kaz­im Ho­sein in a me­dia re­lease is­sued on Wednes­day in which he sig­nalled his in­ten­tion to have this mat­ter prop­er­ly in­ves­ti­gat­ed.

Gangsters benefit from contracts through corporations

Over the next few weeks, Guardian Me­dia will be high­light­ing a mul­ti-part in­ves­tiga­tive se­ries that hinges on un­der­world ac­tiv­i­ty and key play­ers that po­lice have been mon­i­tor­ing for a pe­ri­od of time.

This is the first part in the Un­der­world Files se­ries.

Sev­en re­put­ed gang lead­ers in north Trinidad have ben­e­fit­ed from State con­tracts worth close to $6 mil­lion in spite of as­sur­ances by Gov­ern­ment to the con­trary.

Subhas calls on Griffith: Expose the shooters

For­mer min­is­ter in the Min­istry of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Sub­has Pan­day is call­ing on Po­lice Com­mis­sion­er Gary Grif­fith to ex­pose the names of the 50 dan­ger­ous shoot­ers re­spon­si­ble for the rise in homi­cides in T&T.

At a press con­fer­ence held at his San Fer­nan­do of­fice yes­ter­day, Pan­day said peo­ple are be­ing shot dai­ly while the Com­mis­sion­er keeps the in­for­ma­tion on the shoot­ers a se­cret.

CoP blames 50 shooters for rise in homicides, lob­bies for no bail for gun of­fend­ers

Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice Gary Grif­fith has re­vealed that there are “over 50 shoot­ers, linked to var­i­ous gangs” in this coun­try who are re­spon­si­ble for the “sig­nif­i­cant num­ber of homi­cides, via gang ac­tiv­i­ty.”

In a state­ment re­leased to the me­dia on Mon­day, the Com­mis­sion­er said this is the rea­son why the Bail Amend­ment Bill is a “crit­i­cal tool” in be­ing a strong de­ter­rent and en­sur­ing that when crim­i­nals are held they re­main be­hind bars.

Young: Gang arrests disrupted potential danger

The ar­rests of sev­er­al men re­put­ed to be gang lead­ers last week was done to “dis­rupt” a po­ten­tial­ly haz­ardous out­come, ac­cord­ing to Min­is­ter of Na­tion­al Se­cu­ri­ty Stu­art Young.

Over the course of last week, Cedric “Burkie” Burke, his son Reval­do Burke, Akani “Dole” Adams, An­ton “Boom­bay” Boney and Quin­cy Fe­lix were ar­rest­ed un­der the An­ti-Gang Act and sub­se­quent­ly re­leased af­ter lawyers filed a writ of habeas cor­pus on their be­half.

Pages